no air-con London

Mar 16th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

no air-con London

Shortlisted a few reasonably priced serviced apartment in London, all without air-conditioning. We're visiting in late July. I don't care about the daytime temperature but will like a good sleep through the night. Is it cool at night in London in late July?
Mar 16th, 2005, 10:08 PM

Hi,
I was in London last July and the hotel had the heating on! My room was very hot but luckily I had big windows in the room which I left open. Don't worry about no air con it should be fine.
Mar 17th, 2005, 02:05 AM
ira

Hi V,

Ask if they have fans.

Mar 17th, 2005, 03:59 AM

You should be worried more about the humidity than the heat and a fan will do nothing to help although it is better than nothing I suppose.
Mar 17th, 2005, 04:18 AM

Have been to London numerous times in the summer and have almost always needed AC. It doesn;t get very hot but it does get sticky - and many places have windows that open only partway - or there is too much street noise if you open them all the way.

But them - I'm intolerant of heat - and can;t sleep unless a room is cool.
Mar 17th, 2005, 04:56 AM

Some places will rent you portable AC units for a small daily charge. It's 50/50 whether you'll need it or not, but as others have pointed out, it's always good to have on hand in case the windows don't open or there's a heatwave.
Mar 17th, 2005, 05:27 AM

It's not the heat, generally, it's the humidity. Also I have a theory that to many Americans where air conditioning is almost a way of life (and absolutely necessary in some parts of the country actually) air conditioning even when it is a nice comfortable 20 to 25 degrees will think they need air conditioning and be very uncomfortable without it...of course if a window faces the sun in late afternoon it will make it feel hotter than it actually is.

Also I have been to some theatres, well several years ago I went to see My Fair Lady at the Drury Lane I think it was where it was absolutely unbearable even though it was an evening performance.

Also in the summer you will find articles most every other day in the Evening Standard being very distressed about how hot it is in the Underground with temperatures above 35 degrees as none of the tube lines are air conditioned.
May 25th, 2005, 02:46 PM

That is common with apartments. They should provide fans. It is so rarely hot in London that air-con is a true luxury and not common, except in hotels and offices. You should be fine, but make sure they give you a fan, just to play it safe. We book apartments through www.londonchoice.com and the apartments we love the most at Lancaster Gate, Hyde Park do not have air-con, but it really isn't a problem at all.
May 25th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Have been to London several times in the summer and agree with other posters. Fans will most likely be necessary. The main problem is the humidity rather than the temps. I tend to stay in international chain hotels in the summer because I find it difficulty to sleep with the high humidity. And I take the Underground only if necessary (prefer walking anyway) because it gets REALLY, REALLY hot down there and it is very, very crowded in the summer.
May 25th, 2005, 05:57 PM

Well 20 may be cool enough to sleep - but if it were 25 I would be tossing and turning all night. I keep my home AC at 68 (20) at night - so I can have a light cover on the bed - and don;t have to keep telling my beau to go sleep in the guest room.

And yes - it's expensive - but being able to sleep is worth it. And it's esp important when you have not had AC all day - to finally be cool enough to sleep at night.
May 25th, 2005, 06:19 PM

I wouldn’t consider an hotel without AC in July, just in case. However, you COULD be asking for extra blankets for the bed! Its always difficult to predict.

Just a warning: On my trip last month, the newspapers were full of the anticipated +100 degree heat wave expected this summer. My English colleagues were predictably cynical, but, having frequently stayed in a non-AC hotel in Surrey during 80 degree weather, I would plan for the worst case scenario.
May 25th, 2005, 08:13 PM

We were thrilled to have AC in May last year, though highest temps were about 72F, for the afternoon sun shining brilliantly into our room and heated it up for several hours (until the late sunset). It was fabulous to have on other days, just to relieve the humidity and overcome the street noise.

All in all, if you think you'd be uncomfortable without it, you'd best have it.
May 26th, 2005, 04:35 AM

I agree that having a/c is a good idea in central London. If it is warm enough that you need to open your apartment/hotel window at night, street noise may make sleep impossible.

London has many hotels whose facilities are not up-to-date. Perhaps the belief that air-conditioning is a "luxury" helps perpetuate the lack of modernization. But if you are visiting from the US, where even cheap chain motels have air-conditioning, it is hard to accept the "luxury" argument.
May 26th, 2005, 04:43 AM

And the tube...oh my goodness. There are days when the temperatures in the tube exceed 30 degrees...almost like hell on earth.

There have been suggestions to add a/c to the tube for years. I know the NYC subway, much maligned by know nothings, every car is air condioned and for years they claimed it was impossible (especially, and those of you not from NYC might not understand this) on the old IRT (or the A division as it is called today). They claimed, for years, the tunnels were too narrow, the cards too small but with modern late 20th century technology they figured out a way. Of course, left unsaid, is the old law we learned in physics, the conservation of energy. Where dos the heat go? Why into the stations of course making the a/c on the trains even more welcome!

But anyway, I am not an engineer. I do not believe that in the year 2005 they can't figure out a way to air condition the London tube (the claim is that many tunnels, especially on the deeper lines such as Picadilly, have zero clearance as it is)...

Now whether it is prudent to spend the millions of pounds to do this given the number of days the temperature exeeds 30 is another question.
Jun 1st, 2005, 01:55 PM

We were in London last year --it was hot and A/C would have helped a lot in our apartment. But we managed with the windows open at night...On the Tube, please be advised to bring water with you; it is possible to feel overheated as the air is hot and pretty stagnant and waits can be long if you are unlucky as we were at times...
Jun 2nd, 2005, 01:00 AM

Your question was about flats.

Although central London has got slightly hotter since Victorian or Edwardian times (when most flats in the centre were built), the fact is that virtualy no residential property in London is air conditioned, millions of us live here and we rarely have problems sleeping, except on the VERY, VERY rare (a few days a decade, and all the ones I can remember have been in August) occasions temperatures get close to 100 by day and don't drop much overnight.

Although traditional houses or mansion blocks are built more to keep heat in during the winter, they're still naturally cooler in summer than hotels or the tube if you do what the rest of us do.

Keep all windows open, though use your common sense (I've lost count of how often we've been burgled, but they've never come in through a window yet. Most of us find London's nightime background hum soothing, rather than disruptive, but if you're sensitive to the consequent noise or light bring earplugs and masks). Make sure there's a through-draught, by keeping your bedroom door open. Switch off everything that can create heat (like a laptop). If you're using a fan, position it so it helps, rather than worsens, the problem. Take a lukewarm shower before going to bed.

On the two or three times in the past half-century this hasn't worked for us, we've just gone and slept in the garden. So getting yourself a garden flat might be the best insurance.
Jun 8th, 2005, 12:24 PM

I have a question, what's the difference between 'air conditioning' and 'air cooler system'- some B&B or vacation flats mention an 'air cooler system' I'm not familiar with it at all.