Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Nine nights in Ireland - last minute itinerary

Apr 9th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, I'd appreciate some feedback on my Ireland itinerary. I arrive in Dublin on April 19 and leave on April 28. (can you tell I'm not a plan-way-in-advance kind of person?) About me: female, 30-something, amateur photographer. My plans are to check out prehistoric sites, great scenery as well as hang out in a pub or two listening to music. This is my first trip to Ireland, but I went to Scotland several years ago and have good memories of tooling around the main Orkney Island in what may have been the only automatic car on the island.

One of the books I'm using as a guide is http://tinyurl.com/34lxm2 Ancient Ireland: An Explorer's Guide. My budget for lodging is around $50 - $80 a night with at least one "splurge" night.

So far I have:

April 19 - arrive in Dublin, stay at Lyndon Guesthouse 2 nights

April 20 - take Mary Gibbons tour to Newgrange, do Musical Pub Crawl that night

April 21 - pick up rental car at airport, drive to Sligo

April 22, 23 - Sligo & Mayo - seeing various sites like Carrowmore and Ceide Fields

April 24 - drive all the way to Ennis?

April 25, 26 - Aran Islands, Burren

April 27 - not sure - I have until 1 PM to return the car the next day, so I don't have to be right beside the airport. Maybe Lough Gur (Co.Limerick) if the weather is nice then to Kildare Town to spend the night.

April 28 - fly back to NYC around 5 PM

The main thing I'm unsure about is the drive from Mayo to County Clare - maybe I should stop on the way and take the long way through Connemara.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Deborah,

I would probably work it as such

April 19 & 20 - Dublin as planned
April 21 - Sligo
April 22 & 23 Westport
April 24 Spiddal(Overnight)- Driving the Connemara Coastal route from Westport to Sppiddal
April 25 Inis Mor (Overnight)
April 26 Ennis - drive down through the burren enroute to Ennis, stop in Doolin for lunch and take the Cliffs of Moher Cruise, IMHO it is the best way to see the cliffs, continue on to Ennis for dinner, excellent trad music and sleep
April 27 I would probably opt for Kilkenny over Kildare, as there is more to see and do in Kilkenny, taking the time to stop at the Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle and the Swiss Cottage enroute

Just my two cents worth!

Slan Agus Beannacht,

Bit Devine
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:53 AM

I agree with Bit. You might substitute Boyle for Sligo. Boyle is a nice village with the remains of an Abbey which are interesting. Just north of Boyle on the road to Sligo is Carrowkeel which some find more interesting than Carrowmore. It's definitely not a site that is crowded with tourists and just a bit difficult to find. There are passage tombs that you can climb inside. They also have a great view over the lakes. I talk about it here. http://www.geocities.com/obeirne_ire...westport_3.htm

The notion of staying overnight on Inismor is a good one. Westport and Ennis are great towns for pubs and trad music. I would pick Kilkenny also as it seems you have plenty of time to get to the airport. I'm not sure how much time you would have to see Cashel and Cahir on the way though.

Bill
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Bill,

Boyle, of course! How could I have forgotten? It is a favored stopping point and yet I opted for Sligo. I must be slipping or is it sleeping? I would have to choose Carrowkeel over Carrowmore, as well. I have some excellent photos I took there. I will have to track them down and post them.

That should have been an "Or" where the "and" was, regarding Cashel, CAhir and the Swiss Cottage. You could "see" all three enroute but you couldn't stop.

Regarding Inis Mor, I think it is the best way to experience the island. Especially in April, an overnight stay gives you better interaction with the islanders.

Slan Beo,

Bit

Apr 10th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

This is really helpful - I would not have known about Boyle and it sounds perfect.

Thanks!
Apr 11th, 2007, 02:51 PM

Boyle has one of my favorite examples of Irish cross marketing. A sporting goods store that doubles as a funeral home.

Bill
Apr 12th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Bill; this reminds me of a small Scottish island, where the minister is also the ambulance driver and the undertaker ( funeral arranger)....
Apr 13th, 2007, 01:45 AM

As an alternative to Ennis, you could could consider driving (you're closer!) to Doolin, and save back tracking. There is a ferry connection to the nicest of the Aran Islands (Inis Iorr), about half an hour on the boat. If you stayed the night (leaving car at pier) you could use the following day to explore Co. Clare - and perhaps stay in Bunratty instead? Bunratty is smaller, with a great choice of bars, restaurants and accom, and you also have the castle and Folk Park.

Hope that this helps.