Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Second time in Ireland. How is this itinerary?

Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys! My husband and I booked a last minute trip to Ireland from April 5-April 14th, landing in Dublin on the 5th at 10am. I lived in Dublin for 1 year in 2009 and I can't wait to bring my husband so he can experience the magic too. I've seen a lot of the country but it's his first time so I want to make sure he's getting the best experience in the short stay that we have. We tend to travel for food and culture and we're not into the touristy things or sightseeing too much. He would rather relax in a pub and take in the atmosphere then go to a museum or pay to see a castle.Our biggest priorities are eating, drinking and listening to sessions. We don't want to rush too much, be able to take in the scenery and take it slow.

This is my itinerary so far. What do you guys think?

April 5th: Land in Dublin @ 10am, rent a car and head straight to Clifden for the night. Can you recommend somewhere to have lunch on the way?See Clonmacnoise on the way time permitting. Drive around sky road in the afternoon or in the morning.

April 6th: Drive the coastal path to Galway. Stay in Galway for the night. Maybe do a pub crawl?

April 7th: Spend the morning in Galway. Make our way to the Cliffs of Moher (do a cliff walk starting in Doolin and maybe have lunch here). Any stops on the way? Stay in Ennis.

April 8th: Drive Slea Head and Dingle Peninsula. Stay in Dingle. Check out pubs for music.
This is the part where I am not sure what to do next... I was thinking to do Ring of Kerry but I may just skip it. I don't remember if I loved it the first time but do you think it's something my husband should experience?What do you think?

April 9th: Drive to Kinsale, spend the night in Kinsale.

April 10th: Make our way back to Dublin and stop at Rock of Cashel, Glendalough and Wicklow Mountains (through Sally Gap). Possibly stop in Wicklow. Too much for one day? Is there a better way to spend this day?

April 11th: Dublin (Day trip out to Greystones)

April 12: Dublin

April 13: Dublin

April 14: Leave Dublin @ 2:30pm.

I am thinking may to do this...

April 9th: Drive around the Ring of Beara and sleep in Kenmare or Bantry.

April 10th: Head out to Kinsale and sped the day and night.

April 11th: Kinsale straight to Dublin early in the morning.

April 12: Dublin

April 13: Dublin (Day trip out to Greystones)

April 14: Leave Dublin @ 2:30pm.

Which of the 2 options is more enjoyable?
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 07:14 AM

Dublin Airport to Clifden is quite a ride for day 1. Are you flying overnight? If so, you will arrive jet-lagged is that is too far for day 1. (I am saying this after about 13 trips to Ireland departing from Boston).
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 04:17 AM

You have two identical posts here with different titles, which may get confusing. Seedee gave you a lot of information on the other thread about things to do in the areas you have mentioned.

i agree with Bette that Clifden is too far to drive on the first day. We have been many times and know we can make the drive to Galway. That’s as far as I would recommend. To me it would make sense to base in Galway and make the trip out to Clifden and back the following day.

When you leave Galway, get an early start to stop at the Cliffs. Perhaps have lunch in Ennis, but rather than spend one night in Ennis, I would head right down to Dingle for an extra night. I don’t think you are giving yourself enough time to do the things on your list with one night stops.

We enjoy driving the Beara Peninsula. If you decide to do it, be sure to go across the Healy Pass.

On your drive to Kinsale, the coastal route is very scenic.
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 08:57 AM

My apologies, I see the other post has you in Dublin for a few days at the outset.