Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st trip to Ireland in April - itinerary help please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2018, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Ireland in early April for exactly 1 week - I wish it were longer, but it is what it is! I want to make the best use of my time. I have some distant family in Ireland that I am hoping to connect with as well. I have to fly in and out of Dublin. I get in at noon on a Saturday and leave at 3:30pm the following Saturday. Because of that I am thinking I should plan to spend the 1st and lasts nights in Dublin.

The family I am interested in is mostly in the west, but one cousin lives in Dublin and has told me he would take me to Bekan, Mayo to see my great grandmother's family farm - his brother still lives there. I have met this Dublin cousin recently. I just have to tell him my travel plans and hope he can fit in a day or 2 with me. Although I am slightly worried that if/when I tell him he might expect more than a day or 2? Which is why I want to have a travel plan in place before we talk. I am thinking maybe spending the 1st afternoon/night with my cousin, and maybe he can drive us to Mayo on Sunday to see where he grew up and where my great grandmother grew up (his aunt). and then moving on to Galway for the night and renting my own car somewhere ? I am not sure how feasible that is or if my cousin will have other ideas.

Other places I am interested in seeing are Galway and Clare. My great grandfather came from the Burren. So I was thinking I could possible spend 2 nights in Clare, 2 in Galway, and maybe add a night to one of those places. In Clare I would like to drive around the Burren. My G-grandfather was from Murroogh according to the 1901 and 1911 census'. I'd like to see AE ODonohue's pub in Fanore - my great grandfather's brother put AE O'Donohue down as his closest relative when we moved to Boston in 1912. Of course we need to see the Cliffs of Moher. Ennis looks really fun too. Maybe also Corcomroe Abbey & Bunratty Castle? Doolin?

I also have family around Gort, Galway. There is a pub there bearing my mother's maiden name so hoping to see Hennelly's Bar in Gort. Maybe Galway City, Clifden, Connemara, Kylemore Abby, Mannin Bay Blueway? I'm thinking if I go to Mayo on the beginning of my trip, it might make sense to hit Galway next, then Clare, then go back to Dublin for the last night.

I'm interested in seeing cool sights and also spend time in fun little towns and pubs. I dont want to overdo it in the short time I have. I am going with a friend who has been to Ireland twice before. She is amenable to me planning the vacation since its mostly about me visiting and finding out about my Irish roots.She hasnt been to Mayo or Clare.

So, any itinerary advice? I have driven on the left before in the Caribbean many times.