Ireland itinerary suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there - I am trying to plan my Ireland itinerary for later this month. This is the first time, and we really wanted to see Kilkenny, Galway, and Dingle. But don't know if this is too ambitious

Sunday morning - arrive in Dublin, tour city, stay over

Monday morning - drive to Kilkenny,see castle, stay over

Tuesday morning - drive to Dingle, stay over

Wednesday - drive to Galway, stay over

Thursday - visit cliffs, aran islands

Friday - Drive to Dublin

Saturday - depart Dublin
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:40 AM

I like to move fast, but as often seems to happen with Ireland itineraries, that's a bit insane! First: you've probably already booked your tickets, but if you haven't or can change them easily, fly into and out of Shannon if you want to see the west. There's no reason to fly into Dublin unless you want to see it.

Second... you'll be in the car the entire time with that itinerary. I used viamichelin.com for driving time estimates, and then added half to it (so a two-hour drive would really take three). That was based on advice from this forum and wound up being very accurate for us. Ireland is a small country, but there are very few interstate-type roads. Plan on averaging about 35mph, and getting lost at least once or twice.

Of the places you list, I've only been to Dingle and the Cliffs of Moher, but I think you'd arrive in Dingle in just enough time to check into a b&b, sleep, and leave for Galway the next morning. I'm sure others will chime in, but I think you need to slow down a lot! There are some great tips around here, and I'm sure you'll have a great trip once you get things narrowed down.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:57 AM

We only had 6 nights when we went on a last minute trip. If you can, fly into Shannon and out of Dublin or vice versa. We like to drive, but it is very slow traveling.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 02:36 PM

Way too ambitious for Ireland! You are trying to cram into a week what should take at least half again the amount of time you have available!

If you are determined to stay with that itinerary, I suggest that you get out of Dublin on the Sunday AM you arrive (less traffic). You can tour Dublin Friday.

For the west and southwest, Shannon would be a better Port of Entry
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 04:50 PM

This is very ambitious. Ned's advice is good. You can make it to Kilkenny in roughly 2 hours. The roads are pretty good from Dublin to Kilkenny. This will give you and extra day.

Kilkenny to Dingle is problematic becuase there is no direct route via "major" roads. By the time you get there, it will be late in the day and you will have little time to see it. You could use the extra day you saved going to Kilkenny to stay in Dingle an extra day. From Dingle, you can easily spen a full day getting to Galway. My suggestion would be to stop by the Cliffs of Moher on the way and forget about the Aran islands alstogether. The Arans are a full day adventure on there own - at least. Catch the ferry at Tarbert to get to the Cliffs.

Spend a day around Galway and then head back to Dublin. This is frenetic but some folks love to travel that way. Not for me as I find Ireland can best be enjoyed at a evry slow pace. You will be able to say you have visited Ireland, but perhaps not really seen or experienced it.

Hope this helps.

Bill