Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Night train-do we need reservations before leaving the US?

Sep 1st, 2007, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

We will be taking the night train from Florence to Munich next June. Is it advisable to get reserved on the train before leaving the US, or even before going to the train station that night. Is the price always the same no matter when or where you buy the ticket? Thanks, you all are so very helpful.
Sep 1st, 2007, 07:53 AM

I'm not sure how the prices compare. I have booked overnight train travel at the train station in Europe, a couple days before I wanted to go.
Sep 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM

Definitely get your bunk reservations before the hour of departure. They are required. You could get them in Italy if you have a few days in Florence.

For a jump start on using the night trains in Europe see http://tinyurl.com/y57vft.

I would call BETS in Ann Arbor at 1-800-441-2387 to see what they say about reservations. This train starts in Napoli and picks up more passengers in Rome before it gets to Florence. This is mid summer and it will likely be booked rather fully. You will pay more for the reservations if made in the USA but that might be the only way to guarantee that you will sleep.
Sep 1st, 2007, 10:05 AM

Sleeping compartments sell out quite often. I would reco buying the tickets as soon as your dates are definite.
Sep 1st, 2007, 12:46 PM

If you have definite dates that you must travel, I would recommend reservations. The last couple of years that I have waited until 4-5 days before the night train, sleeper compartments are sold out. I don't know about the couchettes, but if you want private compartments, you'll need to reserve in advance. You can call bahn.de and do it by phone for the exact amount that it will cost you in Europe except you will pay 2.50€ for postage.
Sep 1st, 2007, 03:02 PM

If you wait until the last minute, you'll pay full fare--or the train you want might be sold out.

You have two night train choices: Firenze Santa Maria Novella - Muenchen Hbf and Firenze Campo di Marte - Muenchen Hbf. You can book either of them at http://buchung.nachtzugreise.de. If you book far enough in advance, you can get cheap SparNight fares. Do a dummy booking now and you'll see what I mean. Click on the British flag for English.
Sep 2nd, 2007, 03:40 AM
ira

Hi C,

Good advice above.

>even before going to the train station that night.

Definitely.

Are you planning on traveling on a railpass?

Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

I don't think we will need to since the only trains we will be taking in Italy will be from Venice to Florence and then the night train to Germany. We will be traveling by bus and car in the Tuscany area.