COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Train reservations

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Train reservations

I need help making a reservation for the night train from Milan to Rome. I have purchased 3 days worth of rail travel in Italy. I think that I need to make a reservation for the t-3 (3 bunks)sleeper but cannot figure out how to make a reservation without purchasing a ticket on the Trenitalia web site. Am I correct that I need to make a reservation? And if so how?
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:18 AM

TTT

If yoiu are going to be in Europe a few days prior to your trip...anywhere in Europe..I would make it at any locl station.

Yes, you need to reserve sleeping car spaces. There's at least one overnihggt train that may only have seating..make sure you get the right train.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 04:45 AM
ira

Hi TB,

If you have a railpass, www.raileurope.com can make the reservation for you - expensive.

So can http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/
- less expensive

You can buy your reservations when you get to Europe - cheapest

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 08:44 AM

some other threads say that folks with a railpass can reserve trains throughout Europe on www.bahn.de the German Rail web site. I don't know how this is done but would be considerably cheaper than thru RailEurope, etc. and no handling or mailing fees.

You do have a 3-day Italian Railpass correct - ask also whoever sold you the pass to do the reservations if you can't do it thru bahn.de, trenitalia, etc.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi folks, Thanks for the input. I tried The German site but didn't get anywhere. Think I'll try Rick Steves. It's just frustrating that such a seemingly simple thing is so obscure on Tenitalia's site. Maybe it's right in front of my nose and I can't find it. Alas... We arrive in Milan at 15:30 and want the 23:20 train to Rome. I think that we need to reserve ahead of that. Too much of a gamblre to wait.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:24 AM

Rick Steves does not make train reservations of any kind - his site only sells railpasses and he refers the time-consuming reservations process to www.raileurope.com with their hefty fees - i always recommend BETS 800-441-2387 because you can speak to someone and get personal and expert attention. Of course i advise usually to buy in Europe if you are at all flexible for a cheaper price or online but if online fails and you are going thru RE then beware the 'sold out' on the site