Reload this Page >

train reservations?

Search

train reservations?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 11:40 PM
ksriniva

train reservations?

Do I need seat reservations for trains in Italy in June? As I understand it, its expensive to buy them online through someone like raileurope.com. I intend taking a train from Venice to Interlaken that I definitely cant afford to miss a seat on!<BR><BR>From what I've read, tickets are best bought (price-wise) at the station, does this mean I could just go to the station in Rome and buy/reserve all my trips?<BR><BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 01:00 AM
Steve James

You can book in Rome a few days before you plan to travel. <BR><BR>Steve

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 01:17 PM
snorkelman

i usually reserve on the day of my travel, but i have run into full trains before. i also suggest reserving a few days before. summer is busy and filled with tourists. in italy most of the trains that go fast require reservations anyway. It's usually just a way for them to get extra money.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Sue

As an advocate of low stress situations, I always get my train tickets online before I go. The higher price is worth not having to worry about it. Your choice.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Myer

The consequences of not getting a reservation on a specific train should determine how far in advance you get the reservation.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Dawn

Ksriniva,<BR>There's nothing worse than being on a crowded train and paying first class without a seat. AND sitting on your luggage in the aisles because you didn't book a seat in advance. Trust me - I was on a train in MARCH from Milano to Venice and had to sit in the aisle in first class because there was no seating. Not a comfortable journey.<BR>If you have ever been on a train in Europe and know what it is like to sit in the aisle that is as wide as your luggage, you'll get a reservation. The cost is not an issue.<BR><BR>You can reserve at any travel agent in the city you are in. When we were in Venice, we did this several days in advance to go to Florence (in MARCH).<BR><BR>The agent was a block from Piazza SAn Marco. A stone's throw from the Luna Baglioni hotel.<BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:27 PM
suresh

I have similar question except that I am convinced to make a reservation; heard that 1st class is the way to go. We are travelling from Rome to Firenze onto Venize and back to Rome (with 2 kids 6yr and 3 yr!). <BR>What is the best web site to make reservation; so far checked out europeonrail.com only...any other suggestions are welcome.