Night time in Venice?

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Night time in Venice?

I arrive around 10 or 11pm in Venice (Santa Lucia Train Station), after which I will check in a hotel nearby. Just wondering is it a good idea to wander out to Venice at night? Since I only have a day's time in Venice, I was thinking maybe roam around nearby places, possibly even up to St Marco's square (should be empty of people by then).

Also, I arrive in February, which I think might be chilly at night?
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a good idea. The city lies dark and still. It is not too cold to walk, so long as you have a good jacket, gloves, and stout shoes.

Ben Haines, london
[email protected]
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually it is a great idea to walk on the main streets toward Rilato then to San Marco at night, especially as I understand you will not have 2nd night there. There is (almost) no safety issues. You can return to San Marco Square next day but got to see it at night when there is no crowd. Since you will have just arrived there and have to look for your way at night, stick to the main steets (Rialto > San Marco) or you could easily get lost in those small alleys.

I think I took this photo on Christmas night 2006 : Piazza San Marco at night.
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...urrent=100.jpg
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, great photo! So yea, I suppose I will roam about Venice at midnight then. Any other night life option? As I heard Venice in night time is pretty dead. I will be staying very close to the Santa Lucia train station, I heard there's immediately a water/boat taxi (don't know the real name) outside, which can take us to San Marco and Rialto real fast. But if I decide to walk, will it be far from Santa Lucia?
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The waterbus stop is "Ferrovia" (The railway). You can take No.1 for Rialto - San Marco (take direction Lido) all night but it will be reduced timetable so wait may be long like 30 min. If you walk, would be approx.20 min to Rilato, then 20 min more on to Piazza San Marco. Venice does not have a big night life but, if you do walk, you will pass by a Jazz bar "Bacaro" on your left just before Campo San Baltolomeo (where you can see Rilato Bridge on your right). No live music, many anglopone clientel, it seems.

http://www.bacarojazz.com/html/default.htm
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

Yes, that could be an idea. When it comes to weather you can check out weather stats on http://www.weatherbase.com but check the weather forecast right before you go. Here is my trip report from Venice a couple of years back: http://www.gardkarlsen.com/italy_venice.htm

regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 04:35 AM
ira

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi A,

Venice is very pretty and safe (mostly) at night.

Your whirlwind trip through Europe is quite interesting.

What time do you leave Venice?

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Venice is perfectly safe any time, even at night. I have found wandering the streets at night, after all of the crowds have left, is when Venice is the most beautiful. Enjoy.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Venice after dark is wonderful....I've wandered with my sister....by myself..at all hours. I've never ran into any problem...but, when it's really late, I do stick to the main calle.

Kappa nice image.....here are a few more night shots from my stash.
http://www.pbase.com/baileyzim/venice_after_dark

Enjoy Venezia...she is a beauty!!

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our first view of San Marco was at midnight in the fog. Never to be forgotten.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we stayed near the station in november and had to walk down the main "drag" to get to the Rialto and back every day, so I know it well. at every corner [and on other routes too] there are large signs on the walls of the buildings signing "Rialto" or "San Marco" so there are no excuses for getting lost!

Venice is particularly safe because potential criminals cannot escape!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bailey, those pictures are to die for! I will face a problem though at night, I have a digital camera, a Sony Snapshot, which until now I still haven't gotten a hang of. What should I do to make sure I capture a great image?

And thanks so much for your tips, yup, i've just decided to go all out till San Marco's square!

Maybe hang out for an hour or two at the jazz bar?

Can't wait.

Oh... if possible, can you give me a suggestion on what places I must visit the next day (since I only have a day to spend in Venice) which unfortunately is a Monday, where I think most museums closes.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
although the museums themselves may be closed [check the venice tourist board web-site for opening hours] the churches, where there is lots of art, won't be.

San Marco is the obvious one, but there are loads more - i frari and san salute being but two.

also the Doges palace may be open - that's at least two hours!

By the time you've wandered through the markets of the rialto [open all day, every day] the the tiny streets of san polo, had the odd meal and drink, you'll have more than filled your day.

good luck!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attention! Good as annhig's advice on churches is, she's unfortunately mistaken on the Rialto markets! opening hours:
pescheria (fish market): Tuesday to Saturday from early morning till noon
mercato ortifrutticolo (fruit & vegetables): Monday to Saturday early morning till 1.30 p.m.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi, i was thinking about the souvenir stalls - they never sleep. [except when you want to buy something!]