Nice to Lucca in one day

Search

Nice to Lucca in one day

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice to Lucca in one day

We will be going to Italy in mid-april and need to get from Nice to Lucca in one day by either bus or train or a combination of both. Has anyone had any experience doing just that?
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:24 AM

Not hard by train via Genoa---see www.trenitalia.com
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob but according to the very efficient bahn.de website it appears the shortest trip takes 7 1/2 hours with two changes. Would it be possible to take a bus from Nice to Genoa and save a few hours?
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:28 PM

I have taken trains along this route many times, most recently this past May. I would plan on the trip taking nearly all day - 7 1/2 hours is what it would be. Indeed, there is usually always a stop in Genoa's Principe train station, then from there another 2 hours down to Lucca.

You could look into taking a bus from Nice; however I would advise a train being better and faster. The busses leave from the Place Massena in the old town section of Nice. There is an office and they would have bus schedules there. You could check first with how long it would take, then always opt for the train as the default, if more convenient.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:32 PM

France, as a general principle, outlaws long-distance buses.

There are exceptions, and one of them is the one bus a day from Nice airport to Genoa. But its timings (arr Genoa 2200) are quite unsuitable for the journey frangipani has in mind.

French bus companies are also awful at putting their timetables on the web. Unless someone comes onto this board with precise bus suggestions, frangipani will find googling in Italian ("pullman Nizza Genova&quot the most efficient way of getting information on buses.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, the train it will be. We'll just sit back and enjoy the scenery which apparently is spectacular.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:03 PM

Huitres

I'm planning on making that train journey in June - from La Spezia to Nice. Are the views any better on one side of the tran than the other - Sea side or land side??

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:42 PM

We need to go from Nice to Manarola CT in a day. I am thinking that this possible from looking at trenitalia.

Any experience out there? We could also drive but I was thinking that would be longer but we're open to ti.

Thanks.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:57 PM

StuDudley and lizkn:

I always travel by train and despite whatever shortcomings there may be (slight delays, occasional 1/2 day strikes, etc), they are still the most direct mode of transport for me. The Cinque Terre is a bit closer to Nice than Lucca and will take you approx. 3 1/2 hours (+/-). Stu, I would recommend sitting on the L side or sea side of the train so you can see the wonderful towns you are going through enroute. Further up from the CT, the Riviera di Levante coastline gets more expansive with wide, sandy beaches as you head west towards the French border. This is actually a relaxing route - pack a sack lunch and enjoy the views from your comfortable window seat along the beautiful ocean.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:26 AM

Thanks Huitres.

I was toying with driving from Tuscany to San Remo, dropping the expensive Italy car there, taking the short train ride to Nice, and staying there for 3 days before picking up a French car for 3 more weeks in France.

You convinced me to take the train for most of the route. My wife appreciates your advice (she does all the driving & we've driven that route 3-4 times - not fun.)

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:53 AM

Stu, Have you looked at the Peuguot buy back program--it may work for you.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:34 AM

Bob

I looked at it once when I was going on vacation in France for 5 weeks. The prices were about the same - AutoEurope w/o insurance (covered by CC) and Peuguot w/ insurance. The main difference was that the lease/buyback plan required that I pick it up & return it to either an airport location or a big city spot. On that trip, I think I was arriving at a smaller TGV station like Aix, and returning it very early in the morning at another TGV location (Avignon). On this year's trip, I really don't want to drive all the way from San Quirico to Nice - and I won't need a car for 3 days while in Nice.

That would have been an exlellent idea for the year my wife & I drove the Italian car to Monte Carlo, picked up a French car, she drove the Italian car & I drove the French car to San Remo & turned in the Italian car. Then we went back into France with the French car. We crossed the border 3 times...

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:07 PM

Stu -

Definately DO NOT drive from Tuscany to Nice if you can avoid it. From about 50km south of Genoa all the way to Monaco the autoroute is a nightmare. Just one tunnel after another. Very frustrating because you get only the occasionaly glimpse of the countryside. And I found it exhausting. the worst was the drive through Genoa - a true cauchemar !

-Kevin
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 03:33 PM

Bookmarking.

I'm curious as to why tunnels would make the trip horrible and why traniGenoa is a "cauchemar" (perhaps we should use the Italian word: an "incubo").
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 03:33 PM

Sorry: tranSITING Genoa
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 08:55 PM

Wow - this is a really old post.

There seems to be about 100 tunnels (perhaps an exaggeration - but is seems like there are this many). We've done it about 5-6 times. There is 5 mins of bright sunlight, followed by 5 mins of darkness, followed by 5 mins of bright sunlight, followed by 5 mins of darkness, followed by 5 mins of bright sunlight, followed by 5 mins of darkness, followed by 5 mins of bright sunlight, followed by 5 mins of darkness - followed by exhaustion!!! About 50 sunglass changes. Lots of opportunities to make a wrong turn and end up on the streets of Grenoa - without a detailed street map (we did this once).

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 03:02 AM

Thanks, Stu. KLM just put on a 4 day seat sale for flights from Canada. We (having returned Wednesday from Paris, Barcelon and Amsterdam!) were thinking of flying to Nice in early Spring and driving into Italy (assuming that is allowed)
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 09:33 AM

We will be in Italy in early spring also - but not driving from Nice.

Of course you can drive from Nice into Italy. But do the math:
- car rentals are less expensive in France than in Italy
- in Italy, you are required to purchase CDW. About 10 years ago, I checked with my CC company and they said that we would be covered by their insurance if we rented the car in France & drove into Italy. But that was 10 years and I suspect things have changed. Check with your CC company.
- there will be a drop off charge for renting a car in Nice & returning it in Italy. But, if you drive back to Nice this won't apply.

We were in Tuscany in early spring about 6 years ago, and the rolling hills in the Val d'Orcia were covered in what looked like green velvet - breathtakingly beautiful. It snowed one day, however.

Stu Dudley