Search

Nice to Genoa by train, recommended stops

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:24 AM
wjk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice to Genoa by train, recommended stops

As the title says, we are planning on traveling from Nice to Geona, then the CT and eventually end up in Florence. Other than the CT, which is well covered here, are there other towns on the rail line between Nice and the CT that should not be missed. We are mostly just sightseers, like gardens, landscapes and generally old towns. Thanks
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:35 AM

I rode my bike from Nice to Genoa and though the nearly wall-wall resort-like seaside towns lining the route were all pleasant, none stands out in my mind as a must stop. Savona, more a real town than resort, might tempt me. I think these resorts attract mainly Italians, especially older ones who retire here.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:47 AM

You can stop in San Remo , the italian Riviera...The city is pretty famous for his Music Festival.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 12:57 PM

I liked Santa Marguerita Ligure on the italian Riviera a lot, as well as Villefranche sur mer on the French side. Menton also looked like a lovely old town but spent no time there. Enjoy.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 02:51 AM

Wjk - On the Riviera di Levante I'd say don't miss CAMOGLI, SANTA MARGHERITA LIGURE and PORTOFINO 9- reachable by bus from Santa Margherita).

Between Nice and Genoa, besides Menton and Monte Carlo, I think ALASSIO, FINALE LIGURE and NOLI all make pleasant stops.

NOLI doesn't have a railway station, but you can get there by bus from Finale L. (- or Spotorno).
It's worth the effort IMO - a delightful small town.

Another place usually bypassed by most tourists but with a very interesting old centre is ALBENGA.

Hope this helps ...

Steve