Search

Bristol or bust

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bristol or bust

Okay, so what's the deal with Bristol? From reading the boards here, there seems to be quite a disparity on the likes and dislikes of Bristol. I'll be in London for a week and then I'll be spending three nights in Bristol (non-negotiable), making a visit to Bath on one of the days. I'm thinking that Salisbury/Stonehenge/Avebury could be another day's trip. So, should I reserve a day for Bristol itself? I'm doing the BritRail pass thing, so I won't be bothering with a car. Can I stop in Bath on the way to Bristol? I understand a lot of the train stations have disbanded their "left luggage" areas, and I don't plan on lugging luggage. Are there other areas to store things? Questions, questions...I know. One more, Roy Wood is playing in Bath at the Bath Pavilion. Anyone been there before?

Thanks!

-BG
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 02:51 PM

I've only spent a day in Bristol but St. Mary Radcliffe, SS Great Britain and the Industrial Museum were certainly worth the time.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:25 PM

Bristol's a great city (I lived there for 4 years), but unfortunately the city centre (known as Broadmead) is pretty ugly as much of it was flattened during WW2. You can spend an enjoyable day exploring the Clifton area (which is the more affluent part of the city - used to be a separate city in fact, also where the University is). The suspension bridge over the Avon Gorge is spectacular, and it can be fun to climb Cabot tower, wander down St Michaels Hill (beautiful old gabled houses) and Park Street. Beware though, these areas of Bristol are hilly so make sure you have comfortable walking shoes!
You can also visit the workshop where they make the beautiful blown Bristol Blue Glass - and there's a shop where they sell slightly impaired pieces (you usually can't tell) at a fraction of the usual price.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:45 PM

Bristol is a perfectly pleasant city to live in - though as hanl says, Hitler and postwar planners have done their best to make a lot of the centre remarkably hideous. And, if you've time on your hands, there's a fair amount to see and do, and it's well worth rerouting a journey to see the Clifton Gorge.

But it really isn't worth spending extra time there that you'd otherwise be spending in Wells or Glastonbury, in Bath, meandering around the Cotswolds or on the coast of Devon or Somerset.

I didn't notice a left luggage at Bath station the other day, and the National Rail website confirms I'm not going blind - although there are (probably out of date) sites on the web that say there is a facility. You might try emailing the Backpackers Hostel in Manvers Street to see if they'll take luggage for non-stayers.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 12:56 AM

The tourist office in Bath will know where you can leave luggage. There's bound to be somewhere in a tourist city. The tourist office may even do it (they do in some cities, including Cardiff and Belfast). In your case, it may be just as easy for you to go to Bristol, then go back to Bath - it's only a few minutes on the train and, if you have a rail pass, won't cost any more.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 02:31 AM

Shouldn't the heading read "Bristols or bust"?
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 03:00 AM

BG - There are two places where you can leave luggage in Bath.

The nearest is Bath bus station - 100 yds across the road from the railway station.

The other is Bath Backpackers Hostel in Pierrepont St. (- a continuation of Manvers St. from the station) - a 300 yds walk.
This has longer opening hours.

Hope this helps ...

Steve