NICE Bologna hotel for newbie travelers

Old May 13th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NICE Bologna hotel for newbie travelers

Does anyone know of a really nice, yet not crazy priced hotel near Piazza Maggiore in Bologna that would be suitable for someone who has never traveled abroad and likes more comfort and convenience? I have always stayed in apartments there so I don't remember any hotel locations. I am planning a trip for my husband and his cousin with two teens that have never been out of the country. My husband will be fine as he'd be happy sleeping under a tarp on a mountainside, but his cousin on the other hand needs a little more amenities since she's nervous about the hotel quality. Can anyone recommend a hotel that works? I've been looking at Grande Hotel Centrale, Hotel Paradiso, The Metropolition, and Orologio.

Any ideas? I'm starting to panick because this trip was so last minute and now everything is totally booked!

Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:00 AM

I've stayed at Hotel Paradiso and liked it just fine. It is in a quiet pedestrian area close to the center of town.

What kind of amenities is cousin worried about? It is a not a big us-style city hotel, but is typically European. The breakfast was good.

Old May 13th, 2008, 08:48 AM

I stayed at Hotel Regina last year which is located on Via Indipendenza, Bologna's main street and is only a few minutes from the central square Piazza Maggiore. I find the hotel very nice and comfortable and the staff were pleasant.
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Although it's not near Piazza Maggiore, you might look into Zanhotel Europa. It is near the train station (which is why we chose it) and reasonably priced for a very nice hotel. The walk to Piazza Maggiore is about 10 minutes. The lobby, bar and breakfast room were beautiful, and the rooms were very good sized for Italy. Our room had a comfortable king bed and a large bathroom with all the amenities you'd find in a nice US hotel, as well as a wonderful towel warming rack on the wall. (The latter came in handy when the airline lost our luggage and we had to live out of our carry-ons for a couple of days.) The room was less than $200 per night.
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:03 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Internazionale.

We thought it very nice and well located.

http://www.monrifhotels.it/#

Byrd

Old May 13th, 2008, 11:16 AM

If you want a relatively inexpensive hotel the Hotel Roma would probably suit..a few steps from the Piazza on a pedestrian street..but not in the luxury class.

http://www.hotelroma.biz/ita/index.php
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:50 AM

We stayed at the Metropolitan in August 2005 and found it charming. It's just off Via Independenza (?) and a couple of blocks walk to the Piazza under the arcades. Our room was ample size, clean and stylish with a larger than normal for Italy bathroom. At that time one of the clerks was fluent in English but the best part was a substantial breakfast in a lovely walled garden. And, compared to comparable hotels in Florence, it was maybe half the price. I'd happily return to this hotel.
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy: Hotel Roma has a room at a decent price and I love the location. Can I ask you if you remember if the shower had a curtain or a glass door? I despise those italian showers where the curtain does little to keep water from spraying all over the room. I never understood why they couldn't get some shower curtain engineers together and fix that! LOL I don't think they'll mind a shower box with a door, but I don't know anyone who likes those darn shower curtains! Also they stick to whatever side is facing them, yuck! Give me a tub with a hand held shower any day!