Nice and Cap Ferrat Question

May 31st, 2004, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Nice and Cap Ferrat Question

I'm a lighthouse nut. I was in Nice recently, along the beach, and saw a lighthouse down (up? not sure which way I was facing!) Was that Cap Ferrat? If not, which lighthouse was it?
May 31st, 2004, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

I meant to say down or up the coast a little ways.....
May 31st, 2004, 07:41 AM

Both Cap Ferrat and Cap d'Antibes have lighthouses; so it all depends on whether you were looking east or west.
May 31st, 2004, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Well, I drove from the harbor to the beach and I was at the seawall looking in the direction of where the cruise ships dock. Would that have been looking east (I think??) Also, is it possible I was just seeing the lighthouse in the Nice harbor that we saw on our way out of the Nice harbor? (I wish I could send a picture, but I don't know if you can do that on Fodors.)
May 31st, 2004, 11:24 AM

I suspect you might have been looking over to Antibes, just because looking east from Nice means the view along the coast is blocked until you get out around the area where the corniches begin. Also, the Cap d'Antibes lighthouse is a major one with a very powerful light.

I don't know where cruise ships dock at Nice, as we've seen only the ferries at the old port. Monaco and Marseille are the big cruise ports in the region.
May 31st, 2004, 11:28 AM

Someone who just posted a trip report appears to have answered your question: it was the Cap Ferrat lighthouse that you saw. Evidently there's an area along the Promenade des Anglais from which the tip of Cap Ferrat is visible. I'll have to look in September!