Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1 day in Monte Carlo go to Nice, Cannes or Eze from there?

Notices

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:49 PM
Harriette

On a cruise and have only a day. We hear Eze is beautiful but are concerned with steep streets {we are in our late 50's }. Also how often do the trains run? Thought we'd do Monaco in the morning. Is it easy to take a taxi from the port or do trains run frequently? any other suggestions of towns close by. More interested in scenery than museums.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:56 PM
xxx

Harriet,

Did not make it to Eze on our Riviera trip, but many people say it's beautiful & one of their favorite places. We went to St. Paul du Vence & the walking was very easy. I doubt Eze would be much different.

Don't bother with Cannes.

Some one else will have to help with transportation. I'm certain there are simple options. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:03 PM
Ronda

I vote for Eze, too. Not much steep walking. The views are beautiful, the shops a little more upscale than St. Paul. I would say Eze is to Carmel as St. Paul is to say Monterey. Both are very nice. There are more art shops in Eze. There are some in St. Paul, too, but St. Paul has more fabric shops.

St. Paul does have a beautiful church with a mosaic by Chagal but Eze has a beautiful little church, too.

St. Paul would also be further to go and since you only have one day, go to Eze and have a relaxing time.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 10:43 PM
c.fisher

we went to all 3 places and definitely Eze was our favorite! It is a small town up in the hills and has breathtaking views of entire cote d'azur coast from the top and quaint cobblestone streets. Be a little careful-steep incline, but walk slowly along street and see small little boutiques and art shops along the way. You'll probably need to get a taxi to get there, as we drove up the incline by car and parked. Another beautiful liitle town nearby is St. Jean Cap Ferrat along coastline (is like a town from "lifestyles of the Rich and famous". there is a beautiful villa and garden estate of Baron de Rothchild which was beautiful. You definitely want to drive Along the beautiful French mediterr.coastline. Since you're going on a cruise, I'm sure they have excursion tours available for you, right? Nice is a big sprawling city, which is lovely and lies along the beach and coastline (called Le Promenade d'anglais), but it doesn't have the charm of a small town in my opinion. Same with Cannes. Hope this helped.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:36 AM
Elsa

We did Eze (along w/ a ride along the Med) from Monte Carlo while we were on a cruise. Eze is a neat village, and the views of the Med are spectacular. Yes, the "streets" are steep but we were in our mid-50's and had no problem (maybe one would have a difficult time if he/she is really terribly out of shape). I would do Eze in the A.M. and THEN do Monte Carlo in the afternoon. Since we had already been to MC we spent the day driving around and then almost missed our cruise departure. We had allowed plenty of time to get back to the ship (so we thought)- however we got lost on the streets of Nice & there was so much traffic that we were lucky to have made it back on time. There is no train to EZE, but I bet the cruise ship will offer a tour. Even though it might cost more, it would be worth it b/c I bet if there is a public bus you would have to change in Nice and the connecting time to/from Eze maybe not be good.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:08 AM
MC

I have a related question:
In the same day, is it better to drive from Nice to see Monaco and Eze ?
Or leave the car and take a tour to see Monaco and Eze ?

I was thinking about taking a tour to avoid the hassle of parking and the walking up to Eze (travelling with kid and mother ).
Can somebody help me ?

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:13 AM
amy

Our day at Eze was one of our favorites, but not because there was anything spectacular in the town itself. The scenic part of the town is quite tiny.

Trains do not run to Eze--they run to Eze-sur-Mer. During the summer, there's an hourly shuttle that can run you up to the cliff to Eze. We enjoyed the hike up(something you won't or can't be doing) and then the view from the Jardins Exotique.

I have no clue as to tours or buses from Monaco, but I can tell you we saw rows of tour buses in the unattractive newer section of Eze, so I'm sure something is available to those of you on cruise ships.

Some posters enjoy the perfume tour--it was not on our agenda.

Here are a few other suggestions: take a taxi to the Monte Carlo train station and

a) take the train east to Menton, on the Italian border. You can walk along the seaside, visit an interesting Jean Cocteau museum, and wander through a quite delightful "Old Town".

or

b)go west to Villefranche, wander through their Old Town, and have lunch by the sea with a simply gorgeous view.

or don't go as far as Villefranche...stop at Beaulieu sur Mer and take this fabulous walking path toward St Jean Cap Ferrat. Or you could take a taxi to the Rothschild gardens from the train station (another great view).

Of course, I'm wondering how much time you'll have anyway. We spent a long day in Monte Carlo--to our surprise, we really were fascinated by the Oceanographic Museum, and we spent a good hour in this teeny, tiny Napoleana museum attached to the Palace.

As far as St. Paul--it's way too far. You'd spend more time in travel than in visiting. We enjoyed staying in Nice, but although the train trip from Monaco is quite short (under a half hour by a semi-direct train) and the train station is not far from the beach, you'd still become victimized by the traffic and congestion of a city.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 03:44 PM
MC

To Amy:
By reading your post I guessed you were driving...is it easy to find a parking space in "Eze sur Mer" (I may take the shuttle up) ?
And, did you ate there ?
Thanks

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 04:29 PM
jeri

Another related question, during July would it be to congested to drive from Santa Margherita Ligure to Eze? Should we spend the day exploring SML & Portofino instead?

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Amy

MC:
I have no idea what parking was like because we didn't drive at all.

I'm a danger to society in the US, let alone Europe and my husband believes one goes to Europe to experience life without a car.

Actually, with our 8 days in Nice as a base, we took a train or bus 6 days to somewhere else on the coast. We stayed at Hotel le Grimaldi, equidistant from the beach and train station, one block from a bus stop for autobus to Grasse and autobus to Vence/St. Paul.

For our day at Eze, we took a train East to Eze-sur-Mer (15 minutes max, probably less). Then we hit the trail up to Eze. The sign at the bottom says 2 hours; we did it easily in 1 (but my husband and kids are in good shape, so...).

I had intended on eating in Eze--there are two delightful places up there in addition to a little sandwich take out that gives you the flexibility to eat in the Jardin Exotique (the tip-top view), but we decided to take advantage of the lovely day to scramble down the hill and hit the train West (five minutes, probably less) to Villefranche.

There we had a lovely seaside lunch, hiked around St. Jean Cap Ferrat over to Beausoleil sur Mer, and took the train home to Nice.

Although taking trains required our walking a few blocks more in the seaside towns, we had none of the parking hassles. We would not even consider doing it differently.

I don't have my notes at this computer or I could give you the two places to eat well in Eze. I'm sure you can find them with a search for "Eze" on this site.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:09 PM
deb

Jeri
We drove from La Spezia to Eze on a Saturday in July. On the way we stopped for lunch in Menton and played at the beach for awhile. It wasn't too congested, found parking in Eze without any problem. Of course, we had already explored to Cinque Terrre area and were ready to move on.

Old May 15th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Mandy

Hi, I am also on a cruise with only one day in Monte Carlo. Can anyone advise me how much it costs and if it is easy to get a taxi from Monte Carlo to Eze and back? I am very allergic to perfume, and I see all the cruiseline tours stop at the perfume factory, so I will need to go on my own. Thanks!

Old May 15th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Ronda

We ate at a restaurant in Eze with an outdoor terrace that overlooked the Med. Absolutely beautiful with a sheer drop. Sorry, can't remember the name but there aren't too many that fit that description.

Mandy, I think a taxi would be very expensive. If you take the tour, you do not have to go in the perfume shop. Just walk on up the hill to Eze - maybe one block.