villenfranche-are all the cruise ships a problem

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like a great bases to see the area but I wonder if all the cruise ships stopping there create a circus like atmosphere? Comments? Thanks.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ttt
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:43 PM

I can't speak from experience just yet (we will be there in 10 days or so, so I can let you know then).

There seem to be a number of people, however, that really like Villefranche... for the water views and the fact that you are outside of Nice (and not in the midst of crowds).

One hotel that has been recommended to me is Hotel Welcome in Villefranche - they have many rooms with views and balconies. good luck!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:51 PM

We were in Villefranche last year...on a cruise. I certainly didn't think there was a circus atmosphere. The big ships have to tender in, so only a few dozen passengers can get ashore a time. There are so many places to head off to, Nice, Monaco, Eze Village, etc., and many passengers are immediately getting on cruise ship excursion buses or meeting up with private tour guides/drivers. I don't think very many passengers hang out Villefranche itself. BTW, I don't think there are many (if any) cruise ships - big ones at least - in March, so surfmom should see too many cruise ship passengers.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:18 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Welcome and was unaware of any cruise ships. I'm not even sure where they come in. Here's some photos taken by a tripadvisor poster. You'll see the only boats you see are small ones.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._Provence.html
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:43 PM

Hellokittie, we stayed in Villefranche-sur-mer 2 summers ago and had a fabulous time! Our apartment overlooked the harbor. We saw only two or three cruise ships in the harbor at different times while we were there. However, there were many smaller boats and yachts which made our view all the more interesting! It is a place that many people visit by boat, car or other means , but I wouldn't say it was a circus atmosphere at all.

Enjoy your trip and tell us all about it when you return!