Next Spring: Copenhagen and ???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found out that my son will be studying abroad next year in Copenhagen and DH and I would like to take the opportunity to see him and that part of the world. He will be there from January - early May (unless he extends after the semester). We were thinking of going either late March or early April. Trying to avoid traveling the week before or after Easter, which will be on April 16th.
We will probably have about 10 days to plan; we'll probably do at least half of that in Denmark, but trying to decide if we should do another city/country but can't decide where. If we go at that time of year, will it be freezing anywhere in that area? Should we look at other Scandinavian countries? Or perhaps one city in Germany or Prague? We are a 50-something couple who enjoy museums, sightseeing, good restaurants. In recent years we have been to Paris, Rome, Venice, London, and Amsterdam, so we are not looking to visit one of these cities. I've never been to Germany, but I have no idea what cities would be best.
So...any suggestions or advice for this kind of trip? We will be traveling from Washington DC.
Thanks!
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 12:21 PM

Copenhagen and Stockholm with a ferry trip through the archipelago to Helsinki.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 05:57 PM

Late March/early April is likely to still be quite chilly in Scandinavia - IMHO the best time to visit there is midsummer. I think I would head to Prague, which might be slightly less crowded then than in the height of the season.

also don't miss several of the interesting day trips from Copenhagen - one to Roskild to see the cathedral and Viking ship museums and one to the castles north of the city on the coast.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 08:23 PM
kja

So many options -- I envy you! I think you would do well to consult a few good guidebooks, perhaps at your local library. Using a combination of guidebooks, you can find out about climate, transportation options, sightseeing opportunities, etc. The <i>Rough Guides</i> usually have a section showing direct transportation options (air and train) to other major destinations -- that might give you some ideas....

As Odin has noted, Stockholm is an obvious option -- if the climate works for you. IMO, Stockholm itself is easily worth 5 days for a first visit.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 09:06 PM

Climate is ok in March/April. Few years ago there was still snow around at Easter in Stockholm but the recent years it has been relatively mild. In any case, the archipelago is beautiful in snow. Can't imagine Prague having better weather.
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I am saving them to go over with DH. I agree that summer would be better weather, but son won't be there then DH has wanted to see Prague for a long time, so maybe we will just do Denmark and Prague. On that note: would you travel by train between Copenhagen and Prague?
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 04:58 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Another vote for Stockholm which I preferred over Prague.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 04:35 PM

Joining to mention that my daughter will be studying abroad in Copenhagen from January to May as well. We are traveling there (from Washington DC) and will arrive on her last day (middle of May) and staying for a week after. I'm interested in gathering suggestions from this thread. We will probably spend a few days in Copenhagen plus day trips.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 05:37 PM
kja

@ JosephineLF: Welcome to Fodor's! I would encourage you to begin your own thread rather than trying to resurrect one that's 3 years old. No problem with what you did; its just that you'll probably get better advice with a new thread.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 04:53 AM

Thanks @kja!
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 07:23 AM

Stockholm is a beautiful city but for a taste of different culture...
Prague .
St. Petersburg might be an option if you don't mind obtaining the visa.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 09:13 AM

Just returned from 9 days in Copenhagen and then 5 in Stockholm taking the train to the later. Bit of an incident getting on the right train, but that's for another discussion. Really enjoyed both cities; Copenhagen for food and history, Stockholm for the multitude of islands, history and beauty. For me, the more waterways and boat options around a city the more I favor it. With those dates, I would elect to go in late April or early May.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 07:15 PM

2kids2dogs and JosephineLF--Our DS spent a semester studying in Copenhagen last fall. We went and visited part way through as well. Before he left, we were trying to decide when to go, but decided to wait and see if once he arrived he had better input on that and he did. Turned out the university had a mid semester week long break, so we arrived then so he could travel with us. We went in October and stopped in Iceland for several days on our way over, then spent a few days in Copenhagen with DS, then we all went to Norway for a couple days before heading back to Copenhagen. For us, it was a great trip! If your kids can stay longer after the semester is over, definitely encourage them! Our DS was able to travel around a lot after that, and DD went and traveled with him for 2 weeks.

kja--This thread is current, from this summer
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 07:30 PM
kja

@ JosephineLF & mms: Oops -- my bad, and my apologies! Still, always better, IME, to start a new thread unless the question calls for a question that would be limited to the content of the earlier thread.
Old Mar 26th, 2017, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Updating my original post:
We will be going to Copenhagen early - mid April and have added Stockholm onto our itinerary. We are flying in and out of CPH, so will take the train to Stockholm and spend two full and two half days there. I booked a Nordic food tour there and we also want to go to the Ice Bar (touristy I know, but I have always wanted to stay in an Ice Hotel but not up DH's alley, so this is a compromise
Other things that we are planning to do there are:
Vasa Museum
Gamla Stan
Royal Palace

In Copenhagen, we are letting our son show us around but a few things on the list are:
Christianborg Palace
Kronborg Castle
The Round Tower
Paper Island
Tivoli Gardens
Little Mermaid Statue - another thing people say to skip, but I watched the Danny Kaye HC Andersen movie probably a hundred times as a kid, so can't go to CPH without a stop here
Canal Tour - We did one of these in Amsterdam on our first day and it was a good easy way to get an overview of the city while getting over jetlag
Some other things that DS is planning for us.

If anyone has other "not to be missed" sites in either Copenhagen or Stockholm, please feel free to chime in!
We can't wait to visit and I'll give a report upon return.
Thanks!
Old Mar 26th, 2017, 08:28 AM

Copenhagen: You might also include the Botanical Gardens, across from Kronborg Castle; the Kastelett - star shaped fortress near the Little Mermaid Statue; food market - Torvehallerne. There are HC Anderson statues in the Kronborg Castle garden and also near city hall on HC Anderson Blvd.

Outside of town, The Louisiana Museum of Modern Art

Stockholm - City Hall; Nobel Museum
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, @gailscout!