New EU border controls?

Search

New EU border controls?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New EU border controls?

We're Australian and are travelling to Greece in April and I've just remembered that I read ages ago that the EU is implementing new border controls (similar to the USA?) for non-EU people visiting. We'll be staying in EU less than 90 days so no problems with standard Schengen requirements. Can anyone help please? When does it come into play and do we need to apply before departure? What is the name of the new system or a web link please? I'm hoping it doesn't impact us (at least yet).
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

I think it's okay. I found this web page which is very helpful. https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/ Doesn't happen until November according to this site.
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 06:37 PM

I just came through Frankfurt (mid-Jan) and we absolutely sped through immigration. The ETIAS is not yet being implemented but I am sure it will be seamless when it arrives.

Lavandula
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 08:46 PM

Contact the Greek Consulate nearest you for current travel related policies for Australians.
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 11:11 PM

November is the current start date but don't be surprised if it slips yet again to sometime next year.
The UK is aiming for something similar this year as well but is suitably vague about what when and how.
Old Feb 4th, 2023, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. I've no doubt it will not slow down immigration at airports (once everyone knows that they have to apply). While I understand the motivations for a system like this, considering the data they are collecting I do have concerns about the honeypot of information this represents for hackers interested in identity theft. No database is ever totally secure and, especially with so many countries involved, it will have some security risks. Always a balancing act.
Old Feb 4th, 2023, 10:17 PM

The US has been doing it for years.
Old Feb 4th, 2023, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by dreamon
Thanks for your advice. I've no doubt it will not slow down immigration at airports (once everyone knows that they have to apply). While I understand the motivations for a system like this, considering the data they are collecting I do have concerns about the honeypot of information this represents for hackers interested in identity theft. No database is ever totally secure and, especially with so many countries involved, it will have some security risks. Always a balancing act.
Apple/Google has a lot of your information too.
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by VANAARLE
Apple/Google has a lot of your information too.
As does Amazon, and of course Meta, and even Fodor's.
Big difference is the EU won't monetise the information they have on you.

Seriously one of the reasons for the delays in implementing this is to make sure it is as secure as it can be, and will work smoothly.

Australia stores a lot of info on people visiting the country as well, and charges more than the EU plan to for the privilege, and as I said the US has been doing this for years now. And the EU has stricter data protection laws than pretty much anywhere.