Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need to make a decision - Amalfi area or Lake Region.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a heck of a time deciding which area to travel to in late April.

We've been to Italy twice but have not traveled to either of these areas. I've done some "book" reseach, have read lots of info on this site and still can't decide which direction to go.

Normally our trips to Europe are "filled" with site seeing - I usually don't want to miss anything. This time we're thinking of a bit more relaxing holiday.

If we choose south - we would most likely stay in Positano with perhaps an overnight in Capri.

If we go north - one of the lake towns with perhaps a couple of nights in the Dolomites.

I've tried to figure out a way to do both in a 10 day trip but can't seem to make it work with the additional travel days.

So - we're looking for opinions - which would you select to visit first?

Thanks for your help!
Lindy

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 06:50 AM

Dear LindyE
I've only been to Amalfi, but it was one of the most gorgous places I've ever been. (Maybe *THE* most and we've been a lot of places)
I'm not a whiz at travel planning like some on this board, and hopefully you'll get a response from one of those.

BUT, in 10 days it really seems that you could do both. Esp if you get an Open Jaw Flight.
In April, I'd start in Amalfi and end at the Lake Region to use the best of the weather.
Think about flying into Rome/Naples and flying home from Florence/Milano if any of those will work for you.
Then you will just have a train ride between the areas. (Maybe a flight?)
Truly 5 days is enough at the Amalfi coast - and probably ample at the Lake Region.
Even if 2 days of the 10 are flight days, you could still have 4 and 4.....
Good luck - wish I had better answers.

Carol
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 07:15 AM

If you are used to trips that are "filled," you may find yourself getting antsy after a few days. There is much more to see and do in the Amalfi Coast area than in the Lakes region or the Dolomites. You have mentioned Capri, and then there are Pompeii, Herculaneum, Paestum (a bit further but worth it if you are interested in ancient Greek temples), not to mention Naples with two wonderful museums -- Archeological Museum and Capodimonte -- and many other points of interest, such as the Santa Chiara cloister, the Cathedral, the San Severo chapel and just strolling around in the old part of the city (paying due attention to your belongings).

Also, the Amalfi Coast is likely to be warmer than northern Italy.

But it would also be possible to do both, as Carol has suggested. There are flights on discount airlines from Naples to Milan, Verona and Venice (you can check them out at www.whichbudget.com) In that case, definitely do an open-jaw, flying into Naples and out of Milan or Venice.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Hi Lindy,just another vote for the good advice you have been given. Both areas are very different from each other but both are so beautiful. Flying open jaw would give you the best of both worlds. Have a beautiful trip!
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you'd have fewer choices for accommodations in the Dolomites in late April. The ski season will have ended, and the summer season will not have begun.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 05:07 PM

I'd go south at that time of year. You've gotten excellent advice already, but I just wanted to say that I don't think 10 days is too long in Naples and the Amalfi Coast. Part of the pleasure is just being there, and savoring the great food and natural beauty of the area.

I'd suggest:

4 days Positano with day trips to Amalfi and the gardens in Ravello

3 days Capri ( so much more magical at night after the day trippers have left, and plenty to keep you busy for a short stay, including some beautiful hikes, and an around-the-island boat tour and trip to the infamous Blue Grotto, depending on weather conditions)

3 days Naples or Sorrento with a day trip to Pompeii, and possibly Ischia.

Good luck!
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 05:46 AM

We lived in the Lakes region of Italy over a decade ago and traveled all of Italy(and Europe). As nice as the Lake Region is, the Amalfi Coast is the best of Italy and Europe for sheer beauty. A couple of nights in Capri makes a great side trip.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. It is great getting opinions for others who have been there.

Originally I'd planned to do the Amalfi/Sorrento area this past May and ended up changing our plans and we went to the Czech Republic. At the time I figured we'd postpone our trip to the Amalfi area until the Spring of 2006.
Recently I've started thniking about getting started on plans and put the Lake Region in since I've read so much about this beautiful area.

I'm leaning toward staying south but will still check into airfare into Naples/Rome and out of Venice/Milan.

Thanks again for all your comments.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:13 AM

Hi Lindy,

I've been to both the Amalfi Coast and the Dolomiti. Both are breathtaking and wonderful!

Since I've always been a mountain person rather than a beach person, I say don't sell the Dolomiti short. The scenery is just a gorgeous as Amalfi, it's mountains instead of coastline.

Given that you are going in April - choose the south. I think April would not be the best for the high mountains and hiking.

Buon viaggio!