May 22-May 29 Naples and amalfi

Jan 10th, 2019, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

May 22-May 29 Naples and amalfi

Trying to split the time between the two destinations. So far I think I will spend 5 days in amalfi and then the last two days in Naples on May way out as my departure airport is through Naples. Based on my readings there are so many places to travel through in amalfi which take up at least 5 days. Would appreciate any input.
Jan 10th, 2019, 01:02 PM

Are you referring to the actual town of Amalfi? I only ask because Naples has the upper case N and amalfi might mean that your are referring to the Amalfi Coast or the town of Amalfi.

In either case, for someone who wants to tour a lot, the town of Amalfi could be a decent choice; better transport connections to most of the area.

I think that split of time could be OK.
Jan 10th, 2019, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Amalfi coast
Jan 10th, 2019, 02:38 PM

Here is a good summary of the pros and cons of various Amalfi coast and area locations. https://www.walksofitaly.com/blog/am...st-towns-guide

If I want to relax, Positano or Amalfi both work. If I want to move about, I prefer Sorrento. The Amalfi coast road is narrow and often clogged; the last time there, I saw a car miss a curve and ended up dangling over a cliff; that can slow things down.

I usually do day trips to Amalfi towns, Naples, Pompeii and Capri (don’t forget Anacapri and the chair lift to Monte Solaro), and they are all easy from Sorrento.
Jan 10th, 2019, 04:21 PM
kja

It really depends on what you want to see and experience!

For relaxation, I'd add glorious Ravello to the mix.

For day trips, Salerno (which I think underrated) can be a good base for a number of places already mentioned and for magnificent Paestum.

I'm a great fan of Naples itself and could easily spend a huge chunk of time there.

Capri is, IMO, much more delightful after day-trippers leave.

No bad choices, just difficult ones!
Jan 10th, 2019, 04:49 PM

I highly recommend Ravello for a visit, half day or longer if you have lunch there as we did. Very peaceful (i.e. not the easiest place to get to) and photogenic (in fact, a photo we took from there was our Phone screen saver for a long time). But once you’ve seen the villa gardens, there isn’t much left. There are some over-priced places to stay, but not the place to linger for more than a number of hours for most people. Of course, it depends on what you like.
Jan 10th, 2019, 09:11 PM
kja

If you have any interest in music, you might want to visit Ravello not just for its gardens, cathedral, and medieval corners, but also for its concert series:
https://www.ravelloarts.org/festival...-concerts-list
Jan 11th, 2019, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

I’m staying at positano. How do I get to these areas? By ferry?
Jan 11th, 2019, 06:42 PM
kja

There are different routes of access to different locations -- bus, ferry, taxi, train for some locations.... if you don't already have a guidebook that covers that -- and I, personally, strongly recommend that you get one -- then consult rome2rio.com, but be sure to click through to the underlying source sites, as the main pages are not always accurate.
Jan 11th, 2019, 07:22 PM

Transportation for many people is SITA bus to Sorrento or Amalfi. A second bus operates Amalfi to Salerno.There is a small bus from Amalfi that can take you up to Ravello. Here is their schedule: https://www.positano.com/en/bus-schedule

You can also take ferry to Amalfi, and ferry to Capri.

Buses, trains and taxis will get you from Naples to Sorrento.

Your hotel should provide all the best options.
Jan 11th, 2019, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

That’s excellent. I’m learning a lot. I have bought too 10 dk eye witness
Jan 11th, 2019, 07:40 PM
kja

For future reference, Top 10 Guides are extremely limited in their coverage. You might consider spending a bit more for a more comprehensive guide -- the extra cost will be nominal in comparison to the cost of your trip. JMO.
Jan 12th, 2019, 10:04 AM

You may save significantly using the Campagne Arte Card. See their website for the variations which can include admissions and travel.

Campania Artecard
Jan 12th, 2019, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Oh that’s great thank you