Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Suggestions for Budapest Budget Hotel

Mar 4th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

As some of you may know, I have a home exchange in Vienna, Austria, this year. I want to take a side trip to Budapest because, well, I am 1/4 Hungarian (my paternal grandfather's family spoke Magyar but I never knew most of them) and I have never been there. I am learning about what there is to see and do there, but I need a recommendation for a decent budget hotel. I do want a private toilet and shower in the room, but I am satisfied with a clean basic room.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I am going for an extended trip in July. I am really looking forward to it as I have not been to Vienna in over 35 years!
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:31 AM

Hi. we're gong at the end of this month and are staying at the Bellevue B&B Budapest. It's in the Castle district (Buda side). You get your own room and bathroom. We got a superior double for 65 Euros (breakfast, tax included.) Standard double is less. Not sure what it is for a single. You can go to their website: bellevuebudapest.com. Have heard good reviews here on Fodor's.

Mar 5th, 2007, 07:19 AM

I got a great rate bidding through Priceline a couple of years ago. Art Otel for around $55.
Mar 7th, 2007, 10:09 AM

I was very happy with a place called hotel queen mary. Family run smaller hotel, huge rooms, very clean, recently refurbished in Pest. It was inside the ring and a reasonble walk (few blocks) to the Octogon metro. I think it was about 50 USD including tax and breakfast.
Mar 7th, 2007, 10:43 AM

If you set Google to In Your Pocket Budapest, then Hotels, you will find a good annotated list.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:20 AM

I am paying 47 Euros for my single at Bellevue in April.
Mar 9th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will print them all out and, as I structure the trip (buying train fare from Vienna to Budapest and return), I will reserve a hotel room.

After the trip, I will be sure to report how it all went.
Mar 11th, 2007, 08:36 AM

If you are looking for a reasonably priced and centrally located cosy studio apartment in Budapest (Pest) we have a great tip for you. The Riverview Apartment is just perfect and also has a balcony with a view of the Danube. The location is so central, between the river and Vaci Street, that we could walk everywhere and there were lots of cafes, pubs and restaurants nearby too. The lovely owners Martin and Gabi had thought of everything we could possibly need for a week in Budapest. There was a pint of milk in the fridge for our coffee in the morning, a bottle of wine upon arrival and teas, coffees and everything necessary in case we wanted to prepare meals - and they even gave us a local mobile phone to call them in case of any problems or to receive call and avoid roaming charges. Also, there is an ADSL modem for use free-of-charge. If you are visiting Budapest we highly recommend the Riverview Apartment. Have a look at photos on http://martin.budapest.googlepages.com/home
Mar 11th, 2007, 10:50 AM

First post from DnADublin
Mar 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM

We enjoyed the Hotel Richter. It had a balcony, private shower and toilet, included breakfast(ham, cheese, bulkie rolls, butter, coffee),marble staircase, darling patio, a small bar, friendly helpful staff. I found them through Hotwire, it was the USD about $39.00 for two in Oct 2005. It was a 15 min safe walk to the main park with the Szecheny(spelling?) Baths , a lovely large park ,weather was warm enough,50's.You can also catch an electic trolley anywhere else. You can catch a hot air balloon ride for USD$25-_, we were psyched, but then my eyeglasses broke, so we had to spend the day finding an optical shop to get them fixed. It was a Sunday, so I wasnt real hopeful, but the shiny new glass mall downtown had 3 shops and they fixed it for FREE. Everyone was nice in Budapest. We did a typical Hungarian night in an underground restaurant, in a bricked curved tunnel, that was reasonable and MOST entertaining.
Mar 11th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

I have emailed the people with the apartment and will also check out the Hotel Richter. Do you have a website for the Richter?

By the way, I always bring one of those eyeglass repair kits. They are very handy if you pop an eyeglass screw (which is the thing that happens most often with eyeglasses). Recently I was in LA for two weeks to take a class and a lens fell out. I simply took the glasses back to the hotel room and fixed them in no time flat. Rite-Aid sells the kits for about $1.00.
Mar 11th, 2007, 03:45 PM

By chance, the only place my glasses suffered damage was Budapest -- the standard one of a screw coming out. FauxSteMarie's fix would not work for me, because I would not be able to see well enough to effect the repair.

I could see well enough to spot an optician's premises, and went in and got a quick repair. They refused my offer of payment.
Mar 12th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

I can do close up work. It is my distance vision that is shot. Even if you cannot see to do close work, someone can easily replace the screw if you have one of those kits and cannot find an optician. It is just one of those things that I throw in my travel bag to prevent wasting time on trips if a screw pops out.