Need London neighborhood suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to be in London for five nights on our honeymoon in late September (after 3 nights in Edinburgh). I'd love some suggestions on which neighborhood we should stay in. We'd like an area that has the feeling of any of these NYC neighborhoods: Greenwich Village, SoHo, Times Square, or Columbus Circle area.

Also, lots of you have suggested using Priceline to find a hotel (with research first on biddingfortravel.com). Any of you had BAD experinces with Priceline?
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 06:26 PM

Stay in Diana's neighboorhood, Kensington.

Lots of great shopping, Harrods is a short tube hop away. M&S and other department stores on Kensignton High Street. Close by is Nottinghill (of the movie fame) with its famous market. Like china? A block from our hotel is the Portmerion factory store.

Our favorite hotel there is The Vicarage Hotel. This splendid Victorian house which retains many original features is situated in a quiet residential garden square just two blocks from the Kensington tube station and yet only a stroll away from the exciting shopping in High Street Kensington, Knightsbridge and Portobello Market.

Book direct with the hotel for the best rates http://www.londonvicaragehotel.com/
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 07:14 PM

My favorite London hotel isn't exactly in a neighborhood at all. A few years ago we discovered the Marriott County Hall while we were taking a leisurely stroll along the South Bank, one of the most pleasant days I've spent in London. It's right across the river from Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey - and right at the London Eye, in the same building as the Aquarium. Right at Westminster Bridge and the Wesminster (Jubilee Line) tube stop just on the other side of the bridge. We stay there every time we can arrange it now. Ask for a room on the river side, which at least half are, I think (and the ones on the end have a river view but not Big Ben and Westminster). It's an old gov't bldg. with thick walls, so I always open the outer (old, original) window so I can hear Big Ben. And if the weather's nice, I open the inner one as well when I'm in the room. Beautiful view - especially at night. And every day when I leave the hotel, as soon as I reach the street and look right, I am immediately struck with how I'm in London. Have not had that reaction anywhere else I've stayed in London.

That said, I expect it's pretty expensive. We always do it on Marriott points, so I'm not sure what the cost is. There's a less expensive US chain hotel like a Travel Lodge or something on the other side of the building, but you don't have a view there.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 09:33 PM

No bad experiences in London via Priceline, with around 10-12 hotel stays. We were even upgraded at the Le Meridien Piccadilly one time to an oversized room with a walk up living room.

My favorite zone is the Mayfair-Piccadilly, which is often also the most expensive. It is comparable to NY's Times Square in that it is the hub of tourist gatherings and in the heart of the theatre district. It is also in walking distance to Trafalgar Square and Leicester Square. For a 4* you may very well get lucky at a price of $105/nt. The lowest bid on a 5* I've seen this summer was $171 for the Meridien. We stayed at the Sofitel last month at $225/nt.

After Piccadilly my second choice would be the Kensington area which would be comparable to NY's Soho with lots of shopping and theatre.

The Copthorne Tara comes up a lot in the Kensington zone, make sure this is an okay hotel for you, some people don't like it in case you do decide to go with Priceline.

Finally, on our way back home we got the 4* Thistle Charring Cross for $105/nt, an absolute steal. Very nice hotel and one of our best Priceline deals ever!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 02:32 AM

The combination of Greenwich Village and Times Square suggests to me Bloomsbury or Covent Garden, though I've no idea about hotels in that area.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 08:16 AM

I was just in London in May and stayed in Covent Garden which I highly recommend. It was a great location. We stayed at St. Martins Lane. I didn't deal with the hotel staff too much but the little interaction I had was great. The rooms were clean and I had a fantastic view of Trafalgar Square. Breakfast downstairs was incredible as well.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 09:51 AM

We're going in August and have a room at the Copthorne Tara, which we got on Priceline for $70 a night. I'll let you know how it went when we get back
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 09:55 AM

You come to London to experience London, to live London. If you want NYC, then stay there.

Stay centrally in W1 (Mayfair among others is included in that postcode) and people seem to get bargains on this priceline web-site.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 10:06 AM

I think that OP was naming the NY neighborhoods as a comparison - which I think is a good idea. A considerate Fordorite who knows London and New York can then make a suggestion.

I woudl agree with other posters that Covent Garden area or Picadilly would seem to fit the bill.

Re other hotels mentioned - the County Hall Marriott is a huge hotel, and rooms are mixed.

Thistle Charing Cross is certainly central and rooms are generally spacious - but some far roomier than others.

Have a great trip