Where am I in London?

Search

Where am I in London?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where am I in London?

I read the posts on Fodors all the time and LOVE the info I get. Couldn't live without it!!! 1st time trip to London in mid-July with hubby and two daughters, 16 & 19. They love to be close to the "action", ie Times Sq.! Will have to get two rooms, and want to stay in centralized area of attractions as well as close to shopping, cafes, and esp. transit. Can anyone give me info on the following hotels: Millenium Gloucester & Radisson Edwardian in Kensington; Cumberland Hotel in Mayfair; Thistle Charing Cross close to Trafalgar Sq. We want a nice hotel that gives us the "feel" of London but with all niceties, i.e TV, full bathroom, a room bigger than a closet(!). How do these stack up? Any other suggestions would be helpful, too. Want to keep around $200 USD per room if possible. Thanks so much!

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:44 PM

We loved the Millenium Gloucester (which we booked with Priceline for $80, that US Dollars, a night). But, it's located in more of a neighborhood, though an easy tube/bus ride from everything.

We've also stayed at the Waldorf Hilton ($100/night with Priceline) which was much more centrally located, near the theater district and Covent Garden and Trafalgar Square.

Thistle Marble Arch (where we've also stayed and were very pleased) is nicely located (especially for teens, with the shopping nearby) is coming up regularly on Priceline for ridiculous low rates lately.

With Priceline (but you must do your homework), you can likely do splendidly for less than $200/night for TWO rooms.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:45 PM

what does "where am I in London" have to do with you asking for hotel reviews?
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:47 PM

I like the Radisson Edwardian. The rooms are smallish (but most are in London) but comfortable. The bathrooms are nice. And the common areas are very nice. The lounge and bar are great. The location can't be beat.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Neopolitan

Of the hotels you mention, I strongly believe that the Thistle Charing Cross will give them the atmosphere you've described the best.
Just a short walk to all the theatres, Covent Garden, Soho, Picadily, across to the London Eye. You may find yourselves using the Underground very little, but if you do, you can get a choice of lines within a few blocks -- or busses at your doorstep. You'd probably even choose to walk from there to Buckingham Palace through the park or walk to Westminster.

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Neopolitan

And lest my post be misunderstood, I was only talking about the location -- not the qualities of the hotel itself. Although there have been many good reports on the Thistle Charing Cross here, I have no personal knowledge of the rooms myself.

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:01 PM

Tripadvisor.com is a fabulous resource for hotel reviews - with details regarding room requests and nearby restaurants, etc...
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:15 PM

I have stayed at the Gloucester and Charing Cross. Both are fine hotels. The latter is much closer to "Times Square", or in reality Trafalgar Square. South Kensington has a more residential character and requires more use of the Underground to get around.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:26 PM

There are many who are more expert about London than I am, but I agree with Neopolitan, from your description, Trafalgar Square would be perfect for you. I stayed at the Thistle Trafalgar Square a couple of years ago (I think on the opposite side of the ssquare from the Charing Cross one) and it was a great location. In addition to the Tube stop there, just about every bus line going in every direction stops at one of the stops around Trafalgar Square. And there's always something going on there, from performance art to demonstrations (peaceful!) to a guy training his falcon. I loved it!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:39 PM

Author: Scarlett
Date: 04/11/2006, 08:59 pm
Hi
If you are considering staying in Mayfair, I will throw another hotel into the works..the Washington on Curzon Street..
http://tinyurl.com/zw6w4
We loved this hotel, it is right across the street from Shepherd Market, close to everything, a lovely neighborhood and a nice posh hotel...with one of the best Breakfast buffets I have seen in London
The Cumberland seems to be a bit on the "cold" side in decorating, the Washington is sort of Art Deco and just gorgeous.
Not sure of prices anymore though..we stayed in apts after that..which might be a great idea for you with the 2 girls..
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 12:09 AM

We also stayed in the Mayfair area last time we were in London and thought the location to be terrific. We stayed at the Millennium Hotel in Grosvenor Square and were pleasantly surprised by the size and cleanliness of the rooms. It was a few minutes walk to Bond Street Tube. I would recommend this hotel. WE found it through Discountcityhotels.com, they have lots of good deals and were terrific to deal with.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 02:48 AM

The Millenium Gloucester Road and the Radisson Edwardian at 68-86 Cromwell Road (a mile from Kensington) are the farthest from shops, the action, and sights

Cumberland Hotel at Marble Asrch in Mayfair is good for Oxford Street ships, but not for sights nor the action.

The Thistle Charing Cross, close to Trafalgar Square, is good for everything, shopping at Covent Garden and Oxford Street, the sights, and the action both sides of the Thames. The Thistle Trafalgar Square shares these advantages.

The Washington on Curzon Street and the Millennium Hotel on Grosvenor Square are both ten minutes walk from busses and the tube.

I have on disc many comments by Fodors forum readers, 2000 to 2004, on the Thistle Charing Cross, and will copy them to you if you ask me. Welcome to London

Ben Haines
[email protected]
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the info. yes, my title was a bit confusing, but it's purpose was to find out hotel locations in the city and what's around them. Most posts gave me just that info. It sounds like the Thistle Charing Cross is the bullseye for us as that area meets our needs. Now, we're on to Paris for a few days and I definitely will need to post again for that one! Same needs, different city!!!!
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 05:52 AM

You might like the site www.londontown.com

It has nice hotels at a discount and you can research info about the neighborhoods. Lots else on the site that is helpful.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 05:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>yes, my title was a bit confusing</i>&quot;

Yet you use the same title for your Paris thread?! It is one thing when a silly title like this is a one time effort - No big deal. But after realizing it is a confusing title you use it <u>three</u> more times.