Need hotel suggestions for Granada

Feb 27th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Need hotel suggestions for Granada

We're going to be in Granada in Oct. I booked the Reina Christina, but now I'm reading very negative reviews on this hotel. Does anyone have any recent experience staying here? We need a hotel thats clean and quiet..non smoking..larger rooms en suite.. We don't need a pool, parking would be a plus..easy access to the sights of Granada... and if possible under 130E. Any ideas??
Feb 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM

I stayed in the Hesperia Granada last summer and was pleased. I believe it is a 2 star hotel but very nice and the staff were friendly. However I was only there one night and took the train. I don't know about parking but I'm sure the hotel could help you. I loved the location.

http://www.hesperia.es/hoteles/Hesperia-Granada/#

I also booked my boss into the Palacio Del Patos in Granada and believe she was pleased with it. I can't remember the rate but much higher than Hesperia.

Good luck!
Feb 27th, 2009, 06:35 PM

I'm sorry, I just looked at the website for Hesperia, they are a 4 star but very reasonable rates. 96e for superior double.
I would stay there again most happily.
Feb 28th, 2009, 07:56 AM

We LOVED Hotel Anacapri. Great location, lovely lobby, helpful staff, GREAT breakfast. If you show them your Rick Steves Spain guidebook (I recommend it highly in addition to Fodors) you can get the breakfast for free.
Feb 28th, 2009, 11:33 AM

kleroux,
If you do decide to travel to Granada by car and don't plan to return the car to the rental agency upon arrival (or better still, at the airport), then I recommend that you not plan to stay in a downtown hotel with car for several reasons:

Much of downtown now is closed to vehicular traffic other than taxis, city buses and residents' cars, traffic in the areas open to all vehicles can be a nightmare, signposting poor, and downtown is simply a Moorish maze-it's difficult to get your bearings.
In addition you have the extra cost of garage parking, and parking garages that are truly *easily* accessible are really very few and far between. Plus there's the ongoing construction with the building of underground tunnels downtown relating to Granada's new suburban light rail system.

If you can do without a car in Granada, the 4 star Hesperia would be a good option if you want something in the same price range as the Reina Cristina (just a bit more exp.) but with ample rooms and this chain's dependability.
Can't comment on the iffy reviews for the R.C. It's still a Rick Steves choice in his Spain '09 guidebook along with the 3 star Anacapri, but the Anacapri may be the better choice for the money, especially with the free breakfast and Wi-Fi. Their loft style jr. suites look nice.
www.hotelanacapri.com

The 5 star Hospes Palacio de los Patos is one of Granada's most expensive, much more money than the R.C., Anacapri or Hesperia.

If you must keep your car, the easiest place to have it would be at one of the hotels on the Alhambra hill where you can use the handy Alhambra parking lots.
To reach the Alhambra by car, you take the Ronda Sur (Carretera de Circunvalación) up and around the city following the pink Alhambra monument signs-you completely avoid the downtown maze.
There are a half dozen lodging choices there. The one that is priced similarly to the Reina Cristina would be the Hotel Guadalupe. www.hotelguadalupe.es

Guadalupe guests are given a discount for parking in the Alhambra lots directly across the street.
And to reach downtown for touring, one takes the red Alhambra mini bus that leaves from below the Alhambra Entrance Pavilion. Runs regularly and costs only one euro. Very easy.

Search this Thread