Need Hotel for One Night in Frankfurt

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Hotel for One Night in Frankfurt

Hi everyone. This is my first time on this board as I have been spending all of my time on the Africa board. We are going to Africa at the end of May and in typical airline frequent flyer fashion United has messed up our reservations. We thought we were leaving from US to Frankfurt and then connecting later that day. Actually have tickets that show that. In a stroke of luck I called this week to ask a question and was informed that actually our tickets were changed to leave on the 31st. That means we need to spend one night in Frankfurt. That gives us an evening and most of a day to do something.

Can anyone give me a hotel suggestion that is moderately priced and conveniently located. We will have to be back at the airport by about 3:00 for a 5:00 flight. We want to see a little of the city and get a good nights sleep before the second 14 hour flight. Also a good restaurant.

All suggestions apprecited.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:49 PM
yk

What's your budget?

I recently won a bid on Priceline for the Frankfurt Marriott for $61/night. It's about 5-10 min walk from the main train station.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Yes, the Frankfurt Marriott is a great choice. My husband and I were there last month thru Priceline at $65/per night and paid the additional $50 for upgrade to the Executive Floor. It was worth it. Food service and snacks all day, free internet connection in the room which otherwise was $19.99.

Transportation was very convenient. Trams 16 snd 17 right in front of hotel connecting to Central Station, which is about 15-20 to the airport.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:35 PM

I have never stayed in Frankfurt, but have stayed in Mainz several times for work. I think that Mainz is a neat little city. It is about 1/2 hour away from the airport and I would recommend staying at the Hyatt. I don't normally stay at American hotels while abroad, but this Hyatt is really cool. It is right on the Rhine River, walking distance to old town, the breakfasts are great and there is a great walking path along the Rhine right outside of the hotel.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Regarding Marriott. I have Marriott points so I could do that, but the Hyatt sounds really interesting. We get in about 1:00 after the overnight flight from the US. Will probably stretch to walk around have some dinner and then go to sleep. The next day we will probably just do a city tour for about 1/2 day and then back to the airport for the 5:00 flight to Cape Town. I really do not care about price as it can't possibly be any more than Cape Town. Any restaurant suggestions?
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Original Poster

Please anyone with restaurant suggestions. We are already checking on the Hyatt and the Marriott hotels. Since we will only have one night we would like to go where someone has been
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 02:42 PM
DAX

I second the Hyatt Regency,it's a five minute walk to the Sud Bahnhof where you can take the S bahn to the Frankfurt Airport in 22 minutes. I've stayed at the Hyatt twice and the rooms are better than the Hilton.

Both hotels are a bit of a walk from old town, however not a bad walk, I did it all the time. Old town is nice enough and there area plenty of of souvenir shops as well as dept stores for you to shop.

I always pitch my favorite restaurant in Mainz: Heiligen Geist (close to the Hyatt)which is an old church converted into a restaurant with a designer touch & good food & wineat reasonable prices. No table cloth.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 03:37 PM

The Intercity Frankfurt is located directly across a very small "street" (more like an alley) from the main train station. No need to walk more than one minute!

It is reasonable, has a good breakfast buffet, and they hotel will give you both free passes to ride the trams around the city. That free ticket will also get you back to the airport the next day!

As far as restaurants, we always walk over to the train station and find all sorts of take-away items, or you can eat in the station... nothing fancy but quite a few choices.

Carol