Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help with figuring out what I need to move to Britain....

Need help with figuring out what I need to move to Britain....

Aug 9th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,282
Edinburgh - suggest the Old Town, New Town, anywhere in EH9 (Marchmont, Grange, Newington), Bruntsfield, Morningside, Merchiston or Leith (but only on or near The Shore - and a lot of places try to pass themselves off as The Shore).
caroline_edinburgh is offline  
Aug 9th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,282
Oh, or the West End.

Will you need a car ? That might make a difference, as some of these areas are very difficult to park in.
caroline_edinburgh is offline  
Aug 10th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 167
this banking thing is sounding more complicated by the day. When I studied in Italy for this last year I had to draw money out of the ATM by th e 1000 every other month so that I could avoid the fees for every 20 euros. they suggested i not even try to open an acct there if only for a year.
What about this though? I put my mother on my bank acct before I went to Italy and still haven't taken her off. Couldn't I have her empty my account and send me a check (insured and by overnight of course)my first week in the UK? I could bring enough cash to start me off plus my atm of course and credit cards. then I could set up a temporary post box or something. then all I would need would be to take this check to a bank along with my passport and other paperwork?
Or is this crazy?
winesaavy7 is offline  
Aug 11th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,233
If the cheque is drawn on a US bank, there will be fees payable. If it's for a very large amount, you might fall foul of money laundering legislation. It might be sensible to make enquiries with one or more UK banks as to charges etc for things like this.
Nonconformist is offline  
Aug 11th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,056
Just a note on the electoral roll - yes it is compulsory these days but only for those who qualify (it is called the electoral roll and it lists those who are able to vote in UK elections). To qualify to be registered to vote you must be resident or deemed resident in the registration area, a British, other Commonwealth, Irish or European Union citizen aged 18 or over (16 and 17 year-olds can register but cannot vote until they are 18) and not subject to any legal incapacity.
nona1 is offline  
Aug 14th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,282
But it is a legal requirement to fill in the form which comes each October, even if only to say there is nobody eligible at that address and why.
caroline_edinburgh is offline  
Aug 14th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 565
As someone who has gone the other way, I would suggest that you not do it. The cost of living in the U.K. is horrendous, house prices boggle the mind, especially in Edinburgh, religious intolerance is common, and the biggest problem of all is the density of population. Go for a summer and work in a bar, but I think you will regret moving there permanently.
almcd is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
May 1st, 2016 09:57 AM
Jan 19th, 2008 08:42 AM
Feb 23rd, 2007 10:56 PM
Aug 22nd, 2006 07:02 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:33 AM.