Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone brought a dog into Great Britain?

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every once in a while my H considers taking a job in Europe with his company. It would most likely be in England or Ireland and for 2 years.

The problem? Our two (young) dogs!!!

Since he's talking about it again I did a little research. I think I'd board them in the QM2 kennels. And it looks like Great Britain has this relatively new thing called the "Pet Travel Scheme" which might eliminate the need for the 6-month quarantine (which I wouldn't do).

I just wonder if anybody has done that and how did it go?

(Yikes. We just get rid of our kids and now we have to worry about the dogs. LOL.)
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 08:41 AM

If you start several months in advance, you can avoid the quarantine. See http://tinyurl.com/zicz

While I have not done it myself, I do know several people who have done it successfully.

el
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 08:51 AM

1. It's very important to do the time and feasibility calculations NOW. The dog needs an anti-rabies injection before the passport can be issued, and the dog cannot enter the UK until 180 days after the passport is issued. If there's anything wrong with the dog that stops him from getting the anti-rabies injection, your timetable and plans can be thrown into chaos.

2. Note that, apart from rabies, the passport MUST show the dog's had an anti-tick injection from a vet aat least 24 hours, but no more than 48 hours before, the dog's arrival here. This gives you a very tight window, if travelling from outside Europe. And it's absolutely essential the vet really understands the UK rules. If the vet messes the documentation up, your dog goes into quarantine
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 09:27 AM

I have been through it all twice with my two dogs.
The dog needs to be chipped, then rabies protected, then a month later tested to check the levels are right, too low and you start again, new jab, new test. If thy are OK you will get a passport.
Once all that is done then you have to wait 6 months. Then have the dog deflead/ticked and wormed 48-24 hours before arrival in the UK.
I have taken my dogs to the UK from Holland, by car. They are very strict on it all - one couple were turned away because the de ticking/worming had been done 22 hours earlier!
It is supposed to get a bit easier in a couple of years when they are to follow the general EU rules, but when and if that actually will happen I can't say.
Oh and it is essential that the rabies jabs do not run out - get the booster done 364 (or 3yrs -1 day if that is the type of vaccine you use) days after the first to be sure. If it runs out - even by a day you have to start all over again.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Things have changed so much since I faced this issue back in the '70's Now at least it is possible, even though it is pretty complicated. I had a dog and cat (totally loved and my "children") and I faced the same decision. After much research and even taking a trip over to inspect the quarantine kennel - I finally decided I wouldn't put them through it. My parents adopted both of them

I am Soooooo glad I made that choice because about 5 months after my arrival in the UK there was a rabies scare and overnight the quarantine period was lengthened to 12 months! (totally overkill since that is MUCH longer than the incubation period - but it was really a policy meant to discourage importing animals at all rather than really quarantining for rabies)

So, if I had brought them over - they would have been kenneled for a full year. I had a friend who's pets were 4 days from release when the new rules were enacted. She was absolutely heartbroken. Eventually the quarantine period was shortened back to 6 months.

Now - the reason from my tale is just to let you know - no matter what the rules are today - next year they could change . . . .
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:24 AM

Hi wliwl, I can certainly relate to your concerns. We just got back from living in Germany for 2 years and we would not have gone if it meant our dog would have to be in quarantine for 6 months.

For something this important, and because the U.K. laws are so complex, you might consider consulting with professionals. We used a company called Air Animal to move our Australian Shepherd to and from Germany. They are based in Florida but move pets all over the world. Ensuring that our dog arrived safe and sound was the most important (and nerve-wracking) part of our move, and I was extremely pleased with Air Animal's service. They completed all of the necessary paperwork on the outbound journey (all I had to do was take the dog to the vet and get paperwork signed) and handled all of the shipping arrangements to and from Germany (our dog flew Lufthansa cargo). It was very reassuring knowing that he was in good hands. It's also nice to have someone reminding you of everything you need to do and when.

I had heard that there was now a way around the U.K. quarantine period and I hope that you are able to make it work. There's nothing quite like living in Europe for a few years!
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 12:04 PM

British law isn't at all complicated.

The humans' government leaflet el344 references is so clear even other humans can understand it. Hell, even my Bosses managed to sort it out themselves, without paying someone else to read a simple leaflet for them - and at least a hundred thousand other British bosses brought their dogs or (sadly) cats into the country by just reading the leaflet and doing exactly what it says.

Two things are important:
- getting it into your heads that what they say, they mean. When I got scanned at the Eurotunnel terminal, there was a queue of fatheaded humans moaning their dogs weren't being allowed in. The humans just hadn't read the leaflet properly (and they call us dumb!!)

- it might help to get the de-ticking done in France. Every vet between Paris and the Tunnel understands the British system - and we discovered the grenouilles were jolly flexible about the time-stamp if appointments over-ran. And it's much nicer being a dog and going into restaurants in France than anywhere else we've been.

Where else would the waiters slip me slivers of Vacherin?
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 12:17 PM

Yes, we just did it from Canada last year with our 2 young dogs. It was stressful, not cheap, but fine. YOu have to follow the rules to a T and do everything in the right order.

1. Get them chipped with an international chip...keep evidence from vet as you will need it.

2. Get rabies shot

3. Have blood taken and sent to approved testing (I think we had to send ours to Kansas)...you will get the test results back...keep as you will need it

4. Wait 6 months (all rabies shots must be kept up to date - we had to give one of ours a booster)

5. Withtin a set amt of time (I think between 48-24 hours before their flight you must have them tick and heart worm treated. It must be within this window.

6. Agriculture Canada had to sign off on ALL the above before they could fly

7. YOu have to have them fly on an approved airline

8. They arrive in Britain and have to be approved by DEFRA here in Britain. They will review all their paperwork and scan them to ensure they are the dogs that got all the tests above.

We hired a shipping company to ship ours that took care of all the paperwork, which was fantastic. We left them in Canada with our vet, that has a kennel, for 2 weeks while we found a place, and then the shipping company picked them up, took them to the airport, walked them, put them on the plane, got Agri Canada to sign off, picked htem up at Heathrow, walked them through DEFRA and delivered them to our door here in London.

Best thing we ever did was hire someone to help and work with a vet that had done it before. Would never leave my babies in Canada, and would never have put them in quarantine. But it was expensive. Cost more to get them here than us...but soooo worth it!

Hope this helps. If you want to email me you can at [email protected].

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 12:19 PM

The company we used was http://animaltravel.com/ and I HIGHLY recommend them. Pascal was fantastic!!
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 12:19 PM
LJ

I always love it when Flannerpooch jumps in-trust his advice, wliwi-rumour has it he is even wiser than his Boss...BTW, methinks Flannerpooch's Boss might enjoy Julie's rave about her trip to Italy if he is looking for something to brighten his day/night...
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 12:32 PM

I'm glad they have something new now to avoid the 6 months quarantine.' (we were not moving o England)
We were moving to Africa in the early 70's with 3 kids and our little dog.....My husband had 5 days of business on the way...so the dog was able to stay at the airport Royal SPCA kennels and it was called "en transit". Then when we flew on to W. AFrica the kennel employee hand carried the dog to us on the aircraft. (yes ,she flew in coach with us in those days).
Funny thing: when we arrived in London from Houston I carried the dog off the plane, and the flight attendant SAW me holding her., said nothing...and we were innocent. Went we got into the terminal and down the escalator an airline "receptionist" spotted the dog and had my husband HURRY with the dog back to the plane to wait for the kennels to pick her up. This was under the threat of empounding the dog for 6 months.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Wow. Thanks everyone for your great advice and experiences. Sounds like this should not be an obstacle...although like I said, so far H is just mumbling about it...

I have mixed feelings about it. I guess it would depend where we'd end up. The "choices" might be Dundalk Ireland, Dublin, Uxbridge England (just outside London), Brussels, or someplace in the Netherlands (I forgot where).

Anyway, it's a long shot.

Thanks again!