Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help picking dates for fall trip to Italy!

Sep 19th, 2002, 07:25 AM
kristen

I'm sort of "taking a poll" as to what dates you would coose for the following itemerary:

3 nights Venice, 5 nights Florence, 2 nights Sinalunga,3 nights Rome (in that order).

We can go either August 30 - September 13 OR Septemeber 27 - October 11.

I would love feedback on factors such as:
weather, foods in season, crowds, hotel availability, frequent flyer ticket availability, etc.

I know they are sort of similar times, but any feedback would be great!!

Sep 19th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Janda

Sept. 27- Oct.11 would be my choice. It is cooler, less crowded, and prices are down.

Sep 19th, 2002, 09:04 AM
donna

more nights in venice, less nights in florence, go to siena, more nights in rome. late september which is now.

Sep 19th, 2002, 10:03 AM
kristen

Thanks for the replies so far.

I just wanted to add that the itinerary has already been finalized, but thanks anyway!

Sep 19th, 2002, 10:07 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

The latter for sure. Sounds like fun !

Sep 19th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Lesli

I also would opt for the later time frame, for the same reasons Janda mentioned. You'll have more hotel choices, a better shot at FF tix, and just a generally more pleasant experience minus the crowds and heat of late-summer tourists.

By October, you'll be into mushroom season - try risotto, polenta, or anything else w/porcinis. Cooler weather is better suited for many rustic dishes, I think (too heavy for hot/humid days.)

And since Florence is one of my favorite cities, I think your itinerary is great!

Sep 19th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Angela

Just to add a differing opinion, we just got back using the exact dates you mentioned first. The weather was perfect! It averaged about 78 degrees everyday. I'm partial to warmer weather and no rain, I hate carrying a sweater or jacket around. I didn't find the crowds too bad, we walked right into the Accademia and Uffizi. Of course, you aren't going to Sicily, but it must have been grape harvest time around Marsala because we saw many trucks on the road loaded down with grapes! I've been to Italy before in the spring time, but I'd choose the first weeks of September for a return trip. Just my opinion.

Sep 19th, 2002, 12:25 PM
kristen

I like warm weather too, but I don't mind having to carry a light jacket or wrap. Is rain a big problem in early Oct.?

Not that anyone can predict that accurately!!

Sep 20th, 2002, 07:24 AM
kristen

Just seeing if there are any more opinions out there b/c if we pick the early dates, we have to book our FF tickets very soon!

Thanks...

Sep 20th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Dawn

The latter dates are the best time of the year, by far!