Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy - 1st time for 3 weeks (new member - hope my etiquette is ok!)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Italy in late Sept/early October for 3 weeks for our 30th anniversary.
Any advice on how much time to spend in Venice, Rome, Florence, Amalfi Coast, Capri, etc.? We plan to take the train. Probably arriving in Venice and leaving from Rome, unless otherwise suggested. (from Canada)
We'd prefer to spend enough time in each place not to be "if it's Tuesday it must be Belgium" mode, but not waste time either. We're in our 50's, and like to walk. I also don't like the heat or humidity - is October good weather? (i.e. I've been to Paris 3 times in December and February, and found it delightful walking around weather- that should give a good idea)
Any ideas and tips would be appreciated, what's imperative to know.
What I need is someone to plan my trip for me!!!
Thanks for any help.
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:32 PM

Hi markland - we will be in Italy at approximately the same time and same places (we're the same age). We are starting in Venice for 3 nights, Umbria for two nights, on to Rome for four nights, then down to Positano for five, and finishing up in Sicily for six. Another couple is coming with us and I have been the travel agent for the trip even though they have been to Italy before. Like you, it will be my husband's and my first time. I'm thrilled! The fun is in the planning. I chose late September/October because the weather should still be great but not unbearably hot. We are staying in B & B's, apartments, and an agriturismo. Have you made your plane reservations yet? This site is wonderful and the people on it incredibly helpful. Are you looking for advice on places to stay, to see?
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:41 PM

How lucky you are! You'll hear many ways to split your trip. What interests you? Museums, art, etc? I would hate to see you miss the countryside in southern Tuscany. Do you have 21 nights? You could easily do 5 nights Venice, 6 nights Florence with a day trip or two (if you don't want to rent a car you can take day trips to Siena by bus, Arezzo by train)5 nights Rome and 5 nights on the Coast. Or add a night to Rome and take a day trip to Orvieto. It really depends on what interests you the must. Or you could really take it slow and spend a week in Rome, Venice and the Coast.

Do you have any hotels yet....I would certainly start inquiring about availability. If you need suggestions let us know what price range you're looking for.

Have you looked at guidebooks? If not, start...and see what appeals to you. Search this forum too....there is a wealth of information to be found.

Have fun planning and have a wonderful trip.
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:28 PM

OK--you asked for it. Here is what I would do in your time:

Arrive venice---4

Train to Florence---3

Get car---to rural south Tuscany--5

Drive to Sorrento--drop car---5 [day trips on coast]

Train to Rome via Naples---last 4 nites

That is a good start--you fill in the days but try hard to keep it to 5 destinations. have fun !
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Oh yes, we will also be in Italy for 3 weeks at the same time as you. But, this will be our 15th trip to Itly and we will be celebrating our 50th.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:00 PM

bobthenav - Boy am I jealous! I'll have to tell DHthat we have 26 years to catch up to you!
Love your itinerary suggestion too.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice - I love this site! You have generally confirmed what I've been thinking - 3 nights Venice, 4/5/6 nights Florence and Tuscany, 4/5/6 days on the Amalfi Coast/Sorrento, and 5/6 nights in Rome.
Does this seem lopsided in any way. We love history and of course the amazing beauty of the countryside.
We haven't actually begun to book accomodation yet. Can we find clean, centally located places for about 125 Euro? Does this site list accomodations that have been member vetted (not ads placed)? I haven't been able to find that, but I wouldn't be surprised to find I'm not looking in the right place!
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM

I'd take one of the nights from Sorrento/Amalfi and add it to Venice. But then, I'm very biased! Whatever you do will be wonderful!
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:01 PM

I'd make sure not to skip southern Tuscany. The area around San Quirico d'Orcia and Pienza may be the most scenic in all of Italy. That time of year is also perfect. Our first trip there was in late September and the weather was perfect and there were almost no crowds. We've stayed twice in San Quirico and loved it. Great food, great towns to visit, and amazing wine to boot.
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:30 PM

markland on May 13, 09 at 08:36 PM
Thanks for all your advice - I love this site! You have generally confirmed what I've been thinking - 3 nights Venice, 4/5/6 nights Florence and Tuscany, 4/5/6 days on the Amalfi Coast/Sorrento, and 5/6 nights in Rome.

I have done this 2 times and I wouldnt change a thing except I would start down south and fly out of Venice to have the mellowest thing last.
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:41 PM

There are two sides to the Venice first or last question:
1. Start in Venice as a mellow introduction and work your way up to the controlled chaos of Rome.
2. Plunge into Rome and end on a mellow note in Venice.

Consider booking with KLM through Amsterdam or Swiss through Zurich. Both, in my experience, offer better connections than - shudder! - Air Canada.
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:08 AM

If you're planning to come to the Sorrentine Peninsula have a look at my video on YouTube: JJAMV for some ideas.
Seiano is ideally located with ferry, train and bus connections to Capri, Sorrento, Positano and Amalfi.
Whatever you decide enjoy your stay
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:58 AM

while staying in Sorrento take a day trip to Capri! the train brings you to Naples the port of Naples is gorgeous, while in Capri hire a guide to take you to Anna Capri & have a drink at the highest point on the island you'll never forget the experience. The Roman nobles vacationed on carpi so you can imagine the beauty & history. May I suggest looking on line about the specialty of the area your going Sorrento for example is known for their gigantic lemons(basketball size)which are used for lemoncello & perfume also music boxes w/wood from the area. Naples cameos & wood carvings & of course gelato & pizza!! hope I helped have fun ciao
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:10 AM

I think bobthenavigator has the best plan so far. Definitely train from Venice to Florence as the train system is very good. Definitely have a car in Tuscany to see the little towns and the countryside. Picking up a car in Florence is pretty easy as there is no need to drive in the city center.

Five destinations in 3 weeks would be a lot for me. So if I were going to pare it down to 4, I'd leave out Sorrento/Amalfi Coast and save that for another time. Spend more time at each of the 4 spots. Take car back to Florence and then train directly from Florence to Rome.
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:44 PM

markland, for reviews of placesto stay, try slowtrav.com where members post reviews, and also tripadvisor.com

I like slowtrav.com best.