Need help getting started with hotel in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to visit Rome in November. Can anyone recommend an affordable hotel near the city center? It doesn't have to be lavish, just clean and conveniently located to the sights. Thank you.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 05:26 AM

You will get more responses if you provide some specifics. What is reasonably priced to one person may not be to another. Give the amount you are willing to pay, and amenities you insist upon (a/c, for example)for best results here.

Having said that, most here favor staying near the Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori or Pantheon areas for easy access to many favorite sites.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 05:27 AM

I just went through this search myself. A lot depends on your definition of affordable. Less than $150 a night? $200? Hotels in the city center will be the most expensive, of course. November is probably considered pretty low season so your options will be better. A great place to start is to go to Trip Advisor and get a list of hotels in the price range you are looking for, then sort them in order of ranking. The reviews there are excellent. Then you can come back to this forum with a list of possibilities and people can help you narrow things down.

After developing a list of about 20 hotels, we ended up increasing our budget and splurging on Albergo del Senato (it will probably be our only Christmas in Rome, after all!). Hands-down it had the best reviews on Trip Advisor and this forum for a mid-range hotel.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. $150 or less is what I consider inexpensive. Will I need AC in November? I will check out Trip Advisor and come back with more specific information. Thanks again.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 05:34 AM

Hi

My wife and I stayed at Bettoja Hotel Nord Nuova near Termini when we went to Rome. We were pleased with the hotel and it was pretty to get around from here. I have posted some pictures of the hotel in my trip report on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there

Regards
gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 05:43 AM

I would not think a/c would be needed or even available in lots of places in November, just used it as an example of an amenity important to some. In room bathroom is another.

We stayed at the Hotel Aberdeen and, though it is farther out than Piazza Navona and Pantheon areas, it was easy to get to all the usual sites. Their Nov. rates might be close to your budget. Nice, family run hotel.

You received some good advice....do check out some places that appeal to you via the search feature here and sites like tripadvisor & come back with a list that seems to have what you are looking for. Then, people who have stayed at those places recently can help you.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:25 AM

If you stated the actual dates for your November visit, I missed it. I would definitely inquire if the hotel has a/c. Several of my visits to Rome have been in early November and it was warm - mid 80's. I probably would have been fine with the windows open, but that often lets in street noise.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 04:33 PM

We stayed at Hotel Teatro di Pompeo,(www.hotelteatrodipompeo.it) which is within a one minute walk of the Campo de Fiori and 5 minutes from Piazza Navona, for a week in August. The location is excellent and we walked to all the sights except the Vatican - we took a bus there. Breakfast is included and is served in the basement of the building which is part of Pompei's theatre. Our room was 150 Euros a night (probably a little cheaper in November) and included private bathroom, AC, fridge and hairdryer. The staff were very pleasant and we thought the hotel excellent value for money.

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 05:43 PM

I recently had a quick look at the upper range Rome hotels on eurocheapo.com, and there were some good recs there. On second thought, they may not have been upper range; maybe they just seemed that way because Rome is so expensive. I also looked at the Hotel Panda and it too seemed decent. I have not stayed in any of these hotels.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:03 PM

I think even if a Rome hotel has A/C, the odds of anything less than a 5* hotel actually operating it in November are very low. They seem to go by month more than temperature.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:25 PM

We stayed 3 years ago in November at Nazionale a Montecitorio - not to be confused with another hotel in Rome which is just called Nazionale and is nothing like it.

It's a four star hotel that because it was in Nov. we were able to get for your price range. It was lovely, and we were able to walk to all parts of Rome from the hotel.

We booked it thru GoToday.com, but maybe you can do it thru other sites as well. If you look at TripAdvisor's ratings you'll see many detailed reviews of it. Some did not think the breakfast was lavish enough, but we thought it was amazing. Only had to eat a snack between that breakfast and dinner...and we're pretty big eaters!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 01:31 AM

We stayed at Hotel Accademia last Feburary. www.accademia.com 150.00 EUR for a double. It was a good location, just around the corner from the Trevi Fountian. We walked everywhere. Good breakfast (included) also.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:54 AM

We stayed at Hotel Panda near the Spanish Steps for around 100E per night. They had air-conditioning, it was clean and pretty close to the sights.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 04:32 AM

I had been consdering two hotels for my visit this winter. One is the Parlamento which is in a great central location; rooms were about 100 E. for January and I got some good reports here and on TA about the place. You could see the comments by clicking on my name and looking for the recent posts asking about the merits of two Rome hotels. You might put that on your list of places to check out. (We also eventually decided to splurge for the Senato for 225 superior/view a night. The Senato rooms with no view are 195 in January.)