Need help

Sep 23rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Need help

Hello,
I am hoping to stay in Spain and rent an apartment in May and June.
I have only been to Paris and need help with making an agenda and places to see during those two months.
Any suggestions? Countries I should visit? Places to see?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wendy
Sep 23rd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

I should mention I would love to see Poland, Begium, Amsterdam, England and some of Italy. But I am totally open to suggestions with information about travelling costs, time frame and travelling advice.
Thanks!
Sep 23rd, 2012, 05:10 PM
J62

Poland, Belgium, Amsterdam, England and Italy area all great places to visit.

Suggestion #1 is get yourself a good old fashioned paper map of europe and put a sticky note on the places you want to visit so you can get a feel for a logical route.

For the distances you are traveling look into flying some of the longer distances - train travel will eat up a lot of time.

For travel costs I typically budget about $150-200 per day, including food, lodging, transportation & sightseeing, so if I were going on a 2mo trip to Spain that'd be about $10,000 budget. Add on travel around the rest of Europe after the 2mo in Spain and you can scale that up accordingly.
Sep 23rd, 2012, 05:17 PM

Why are you renting an apartment in Spain and then traveling to other countries? You'll be paying double rent since you'll have to stay in hotels/apartments in other countries while you're paying rent in Spain.

What to see throughout Europe would take quite a bit of time to tell you. Perhaps you should get some guide books and read about the various countries and decide what appeals to you. You can also read trip reports on this board.

You should choose countries that border each other and optimally border Spain such as France and Portugal. That will save on expense and travel time.
Sep 24th, 2012, 01:12 AM

Wendy, this a very unclear post. Are you intending to visit Spain for two months and then move on to your other destinations? Or are you, as Adrienne infers, using the apartment somewhere in Spain as a base to travel to other countries?

The first is a good idea, the second is a terrible idea. lease clarify for help.
Sep 24th, 2012, 01:50 AM

I don't think the post is confusing. Wendy62 is asking for "help with making an agenda and places to see during those two months" -- meaning, the 2 months she is in Spain. She asks: "Countries I should visit?"

She would like to visit other countries, if possible.

Wendy62,

It is hard to give advice without knowing what airport in Spain you will be near. Spain is actually a very popular "long weekend" destination for many other Europeans, and the flights go both ways, but not every place in Spain is well connected to all the places on your wish list. Nor are these flights necessarily cheap.

And has been pointed out, this can be a very expensive way of travel -- to park yourself in one European locale and use it as a "base" for seeing many distant places in Europe. Sure you would't rather spend a month in Spain, and then spend another month seeing the rest of the places on your wish list without constantly flying back to Spain?
Sep 24th, 2012, 02:12 AM

Also, I don't understand how this $10,000 figure is arrived at.

In many interesting parts of Spain, I would think that a longish-term rental of a very nice apartment could be had for $1000 per month. With a kitchen, I know I could keep my eating budget to $200 per week, even with occasional meals and tapas and coffees out. So that's $3,600 for food and lodging for 2 months.

Public transportation is not hugely expensive in Spain (even inter-city). Many museums are free, but even with a budget of $100 per week for sightseeing, it is still hard to get up to $5,000 for a 2 month stay in Spain.

I have an American friend who did a 3-month freelance project in Amsterdam. Every single weekend, he went to Schipohl airport and took a plane to someplace else (even though he loved Amsterdam!). He flew to Pisa and spent the weekend in Florence. He went to London. He went to Berlin. He flew to Venice. He went to Paris (by train).

Fortunately for him, the freelance project included a place to stay. But when he traveled to these other places, he got inexpensive rooms and didn't eat at gourmet restaurants. He picked just a few sights to see, and sometimes joined a walking tour. He had a great time.
Sep 24th, 2012, 07:29 AM
J62

Wendy has given us so little info - we don't know if she's a starving student looking to couch surf, or stay in a 20 euro per night lodging (which = $1000/mo), or a wealthy retiree looking to splurge.

The $10,000 figure is what I budget - rounds off to $166 per day, or roughly 130 euros per day. I'm not saying this is the minimum one can spend, but it's what I budget.
Sep 24th, 2012, 08:58 AM

Agree that we need more information on what the OP is actually trying to do.

To pay for an apartment for 2 months in spain and then spend a good part of the time flying all over europe makes no sense at all. You will be paying twice for lodging for every night yuo are away and for roundtrip plane fares to and from Spain.

Much more sensible to spend several weeks in Spain and then move on the other places you want to see - versus constantly trekking back to Spain.
Sep 24th, 2012, 09:01 AM

Wendy - as a first-time poster you may not have any idea how big europe is or how far the places you say you want to go are from anywhere in Spain.

From Spain the only realistic way to get to those other countries is flying - trains would take an incredible amount of time - and wouldn't be cheap. And for flying to make sense you would have to base yourself near a major airport with flights all over europe. Just not a workable plan.
Sep 24th, 2012, 10:25 AM

J62,

Wendy62 says she wants to rent an apartment for 2 months in Spain. She doesn't need to spend $166 dollars a day to do that plus feed herself and go sightseeing.

I don't know how being a "first time poster" equates to not having "any idea of how big europe is". Wendy62 has been to Paris. And she doesn't appear to be afraid of flying.

Once you are in Europe for an extended period, you begin to see how easy it is to fly to other places depending on what airport you are near. And it is not necessarily more expensive than taking a train.

For instance, if Wendy62 posted here for the first time that she planned to rent an apartment in Rome for 2 months, and she was hoping to spend some weekends in Florence or Venice, and asked if it was possible, she wouldn't be getting these freaked-out responses. It costs 80 euros each way to go to those places. And it takes 90 minutes to 5 hours each way.

Depending on where in Spain Wendy62, she may be able to fly to Italy round-trip, or London round-trip, or Belgium/Amsterdam round trip for less than 160 euros.

What is the big whoop here?
Sep 24th, 2012, 10:34 AM

>>And for flying to make sense you would have to base yourself near a major airport with flights all over europe.<<

Uh -- yeah. Like Madrid or Barcelona.

Or Bilbao, which has flights to Amsterdam, Brussels, London and Milan.

Or Sevilla, with flights to Venice, Warsaw, Amsterdam and Cardiff.

Or pokey little Santiago de Compstela, which has flights to London, Milan, Paris and Geneva.

Just to mention a few places.
Sep 24th, 2012, 10:40 AM

Wendy never gave us a budget - so we have no idea how much she wants to spend.

And I don't see how it makes sense to pay for an apartment for two solid months, then pay for hotels in other cities on top of it, then pay for roundtrip plane fares - versus just paying for one-way fares and the hotel she's staying in.

For all we know Wendy is on a strict budget - and all this roundtripping might blow it.

Without more info from her we can't be sure.