Spain Travel

Nov 8th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Spain Travel

We are planning a trip to Spain and would like help from anyone who has been there.
We plan to stay a few nights in Toledo, and would like help in finding places to visit.
Points of interest are wineries, parks, architecture, etc...
If anyone can give us some suggestions, we would appreciate it.
Nov 8th, 2009, 07:03 PM

How long are you staying? Is Toledo your only destination?
When are you going? Kids?

A bit more info would help !
Nov 8th, 2009, 11:34 PM

For parks, architecture, museums, etc., you might want to take a look at the Michelin Green Guide for Spain.
Nov 9th, 2009, 12:06 AM

I would suggest as a first step you read the following website and find out more about Spain
http://www.spain.info/
Nov 9th, 2009, 01:06 AM

Spain is an extremely varied country, you may want to extend your preferences a bit, so we can be of help...
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

I am traveling to Spain w/my husband, 25 yr daughter, to visit my daughter in Toledo, Spain. I thought the Rioja wine area looked interesting, the town of Laguardia seems cool.
I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to head towards Sevilla and the southern areas of Spain. We prefer quaint, quiet towns rather than busy cities, if anyone has suggestions I would appreciate any help.
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:51 AM

I think it's a good choice to see several days of Toledo. I really liked it, and wished I had more than a day there. How long is your trip? That will help with suggestions.

Although you don't like busycities, and Madrid certainly is one, it also has amazing art museums, and many other points of interest. You might want to have at least one day there before you return home; it would probably be a good idea for logistical reasons if you are flying back out of Madrid.
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:53 AM

As noted, I suggest you consult maps and guide books. Rioja and Sevilla are in opposite directions. Sevilla is beautiful but quaint does not apply. Toledo is magnificant but it is overwhlemed with tourists.

Do not get Frommer's or Fodor's or Rick Steves. For small towns get Lonely Planet or Rough Guide.
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:58 AM

Toledo was not overwhelmed with tourists when I was there, in mid-September, on a weekday.
Nov 9th, 2009, 07:09 AM

#
WillTravel on Nov 9, 09 at 10:58am

Toledo was not overwhelmed with tourists when I was there, in mid-September, on a weekday."

Depends; we were there in mid-Oct. during the week and had trouble getting tickets for AVE. There were so many tourists in town it really ruined the visit.
Nov 9th, 2009, 09:27 AM

danon.. you might have coincided with the 9th and 12th of October holidays.
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:08 AM

lin,
no, it was a bit later. We were in Granada on the 12th and witnessed an interesting procession.
Granada was totally packed - mostly domestic tourists! Oct 12th weekend is a good date to avoid traveling .
Nov 9th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Tunema,

I just got back from Spain last week. I too much prefer quiet towns rather than big cities. I did stay in laguardia among other places and I would highly recommend it. In fact, it may be my favorite of the places we stayed along the 2 week road trip we did through northern spain. This time of year is perfect as the cost of lodging is cheaper and the paradores have discounted rooms that are very reasonable. The town is beautiful and is literally surrounded by vineyards and bodegas. The entire village is a fortress with over 250 caves hand dug into the limestone. Perfect for storing wine!
Another beautiful place is santillana del mar in cantabria, a very well preserved yet restored medieval village. We stayed at a parador at fuente de in the picos de Europe that was very beautiful as well. It reminded my of zermatt how there is only one way in and one way out, at the base of the lodge is a cable car that takes you right to the top of the picos de Europa. Great hiking. Enjoy.
Bottom line is if you are looking for smaller quaint places with lots of history, northern spain, asturias, gilecia, cantabria and the basque will not disappoint.
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:59 AM

Either choose Seville and Granada for two of the world's finest small cities or head to the north coast, smaller towns, less tourists and completely different than Andalucia.