Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need family friendly hotel with pool if possible for Positano

Aug 9th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Hi, I am looking for a place that will accept children, ages 4 & 6 and is a budget hotel in Positano that someone on this site can recommend. I know about the Villa Rosa, but there are a lot of steps for the kids. Is there a place for $300 or under a night for 2 adults and 2 children? It doesn't have to be in Positano. It could be in Sorrento or Praiano. A pool would be wonderful. I have done the hotel search thing and am familiar with the area, but having a hard time with this. I am thinking the Onda Verde in Praiano? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

WT
Aug 9th, 2003, 02:13 PM

I don't think I'd recommend Positano for such young kids. It seems like more of a honeymoon or romantic destination than a place that caters to kids. Add to that equation the endless stairs, and I think I'd recommend Sorrento, or another town on the Amalfi Coast instead.

For the reasons outlined above, we chose Sorrento for a recent vacation with our kids, 12 and 15. We stayed at Hotel Tramontano, which had a medium sized pool and a hotel elevator which takes you down to the hotel's (small) private beach. Our rooms which overlooked the Bay of Naples ran about $235/night, but I think the hotel had other rooms facing the garden or pool for less. It was an excellent location, within walking distance to several good restaurants ( great pizza at Taverna!) and Piazza Tasso.

I could also recommend the Ambasciatori, which has a large pool, and is probably somewhat cheaper than Tramontano, but caters to large tour groups.

Good luck!
Aug 10th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. One of my daughters is getting married in Positano next June and I am trying to find somewhere for my other daughter and family to stay. I appreciate the hotel suggestions in Sorrento. I think that is close enough. Take care, WT
Aug 10th, 2003, 06:10 PM

I can recommend the Grand Hotel Capodimonte, via Capo, Sorrento. It is a lovely hotel overlooking the Bay of Naples, and a short walk (2-3 min.) to town. The hotel has five cascading pools.
Aug 11th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again! We will check it out.

WT