Sorrento Hotel Aminta

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:50 AM
MCT

Sorrento Hotel Aminta

Has anyone stayed at the Grand Hotel Aminta in Sorrento? How was it? We're celebrating a special occasion, so we had hoped to stay in a 5-star hotel on the Amalfi coast. They're completely booked for the days we'll be there (5/8-5/11). I thought the Aminta looked convenient to other Amalfi locations, but is it closer to a 5-star or a 3-star?

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Grasshopper

I LOVE the Aminta. It's a 4 star hotel. I recommend that you get a room in the annex with a sea view. In the hotel proper, all the rooms have great views. The annex rooms are larger and they have air conditioning, but you have to walk a little ways on a well lighted path from the main hotel.

One of my favorite spots in the whole world is the outdoor patio for lunch looking out over the Bay of Naples. The staff was wonderful to me on both of my visits; Tonino the bar manager is great and Leah (?), the reception manager was so kind and helpful when I had an emergency at home to deal with.

It is high on a hill and walking TO Sorrento is easy (20 minutes) but walking back to the hotel is NOT. But there is a hotel bus that makes regular trips. The website is www.aminta.it and shows some of the amazing views.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:43 AM
MCT

Thanks!

Here's a tricky add-on question; between Le Sireneuse (Positano - a room without a view or balcony) and Aminta (not sure what type of room we'll get as I booked online) - which would you choose?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Grasshopper

Personally, I prefer Sorrento to Positano. I know the general consensus here is otherwise. I find Positano more limiting and very touristy although certainly very beautiful. I would rather stay in Sorrento and visit Positano, Capri, Ravello, Amalfi, Pompeii.

If you decide to go with the Aminta, I would email the hotel directly (their address is on the website) and ask for a specific type of room. Gianfranco is the manager and he has been very accommodating to me.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Holly

GAC - are you familiar with the Hotel Michelangelo in Sorrento? Any comments?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Holly

Sorry - meant to address that to Grasshopper, or anyone who can answer.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:44 PM
ttt

Topping

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 03:21 AM
Wondering

Isn't there a tremendous price difference between the Aminta and the Syreneuse?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:10 PM
MCT

Yes,
The Sireneuse is considerably more expensive than Aminta - but I was trying to determine whether it'd be worth it (would we be missing out on the whole experience by not staying in Positano). We're sticking with Aminta for a number of reasons but, mostly, because it's more convenient for day trips and for our departure to Capri. I'll be sure to post a trip report upon our return.