Vienna ---Short Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We spent two nights in Vienna as a stopover on a longer trip to Armenia and Iran...Thanks to everyone who answered any and all of my questions before we left!

With only two days in Vienna we really had to choose between all the wonderful sites and this is what we saw:

MUSEUMS AND PALACES ETC: In addition to walking to several Otto Wagner houses and to the Cathedral none of which should be missed we loved the Leopold Museum. The collection of Egon Schiele is truly remarkable and particularly interesting if you've visited the neue Galarie in New York.

We visited the Secessionist building where we were surprised how many people didn't seem to bother to go inside and see Klimt's Beethoven Frieze which was magnificent.

We went out to the Belvedere and also took the underground to the Schloss Schonbrunn palace where they were setting up for an REM concert that evening! I particularly like the view back from the view back over the gardens and the city from the Gloreitte where you can have a drink at the cafe.The interior and particularly the domestic quarters of the royal family were really gorgeous although the inside areas were very busy.

RESTRAURANTS:
We took Travelnick's advice and ate at Harry's Time which was excellent and very reasonably priced for the quality of the food which was modern European. The place was very quiet an the proprietor brought us after dinner drinks on the house which was very nice.

On our last evening we found a small wine shop/winebar Eulennest (at Himmelpfortgassa 13) just off the Karnestrasse which I highly recommend. Run by a young English speaking husband and wife team they have a wonderful selection of Austrian wines and offer plates of cold meats, cheeses and bread. It was very simple but what made it so lovely was that the proprietors love to talk about wine and they have a great menu of wines by the glass. It was very cheap to buy the wines by the glass or just to take a tasting pour and we felt we had had a wonderul guided tour of Austrian wines by the time we left!

HOTEL: We stayed at the Ambassador Hotel where we were in a regular room on a wonderful rate E 178 incuding breakfast. The room was very recently remodelled and comfortable, not too large but with a very large bathroom. The hotel is very well located in the center of the ring between the Opera house and the Cathedral facing onto a pretty square that reminded me of Rome. Because we had such a brief stay the central location was fabulous However, I have to say that for the most part I considered the Karnestrasse a very generic shopping street and I think if we returned for a longer stay I'd want to stay in a more characterful area.. in the center I particularly liked the area around the JudenPlatz.

Two days is obviously not enough time to see Vienna but it does give you an idea of what you'd like to see next time!
Hope this trip report helps someone out there!
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 08:11 PM

Welltraveledbrit: Don't know if you'll see this but thanks for the report.
I'm going in October and can't wait!
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 05:21 AM

We also enjoyed the Leopold Museum. Our son became interested in Egon Schiele after seeing some of his work at the Neue Galarie in NYC, but we all enjoyed this museum even more than the others (MAC, Kundhistorisches) which had been more highly recommended.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 09:12 AM

Glad you enjoyed Harrys Time. I am amazed how quiet it is in the evening - much busier at lunch as near by court lawyers go there and I guess it is slightly off any tourist trail. I do think Austrian cheap whites are very underrated. Mind you I thought cheap reds were awful (had to pay more for drinkable quality in my experience). I agree Judenplatz is nice (although the contentious monument is in my view ugly) , but accommodation does not exist there - in case you thought there may be options there for the future.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 09:41 AM

Where is Harry's Time, we are off to Vienna this weekend and would love to go! Thanks for the trip report!
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Expat Mommy,
I don't remember the address for Harry's Time but if you do a search you may find it in one of Travelnick's recommendations.

Travelnick, thanks for t he Harry's Time recommendation I did the "order the menu" option but stopped after 6 courses! At Eulennest we tried some wonderful, both affordable and rather more expensive Austrian whites and particularly some of the late harvest varieties... What I was trying to say is that ordering a flight of wine was very reasonable because it's only a tasting sized serving.