Need easy tour from Rome to Pompeii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need easy transportation from Rome to Pompeii and back in one day. We would prefer a tour or a shuttle, but NOT one that spends time at a coral/cameo factory. We have read about train connections through Naples, but think that there should be something directly from Rome for folks who want easy connections. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM

Typically those day tours all stop for "shopping. Depending on how many "we" are you might be much better off - doing exactly what YOU want - just by renting a car for the day.

Train would be my second choice - and not complicated.

You can easily get a local guide for Pompeii site atr teh entrance.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:01 AM

Hi NYTraveler,

Is driving r/t rome to pompeii easy?
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:37 AM

There is train service from Rome directly but it goes to the town of Pompeii, not the ruins.

The train connection from Rome is via Naples. When you arrive in Naples walk down the stairs to the commuter train, called the Circumvesuviana. Buy tickets for Pompeii Scavi. I believe the trains run every 30 minutes. When you arrive at Pompeii Scavi exit the train to the right (follow everyone else getting off the train) and in 1 to 2 minutes you are at the site entrance where you buy tickets. There's also a bookshop and toilets. It couldn't be easier.

Bring water, hat, sunscreen, very good walking shoes (preferably lace up shoes), you might want long sleeve shirts, depending on how sun sensitive you are. If you're renting the audio bring a copy of your passport or driver's license to leave until you return your audio.

When you're tired on the way back from Pompeii you can relax on the train.

Driving from Rome to Pompeii may be easy (I think driving in Italy in general is easy) but you have to drive out of Rome first. I believe that would be the hard part. IMHO I'd rather change trains in Naples than drive in Rome.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM

cowden, we (family of Dad/Mom/Two Boys 20 and 16)just returned from a trip to Italy in mid-August and went to Pompeii from Rome by bus.

We only stopped once each way (same place both times) for literally 10 minutes for a restroom/beverage break. No cameo shopping at all (though there was an assortment of things for sale at the place we stopped, you did not have to go anywhere near them to use the facilities or buy a beverage).

The tour is based about two blocks from termini train station; it left promptly at 7:30 and we were back in Rome by 6pm. 4 hours in Pompeii on our own (rented audio guides) was sufficient. Very pleasant experience all around. Don't know when you're going but their last tour is on Oct 31 (resumes in April).

Here is the link to the vendor:
http://www.enjoyrome.com/shuttle_tour/pompeii.html

Have a great time.

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have used the Enjoy Rome shuttle referenced by dfpasto. It is just transportation, not a tour. No souvenir stops, no group lunch. It was a very easy way to do a day trip to Pompeii. You get back in time for dinner in Rome.

I have also taken the train to Naples and the Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii Scavi.

Both ways work well and are far less expensive than the day tours from Rome.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:16 PM

Well I think it;'s easy. But then I think driving in NYC is easy too. If you're a confident driver and have a good sense of direction and/or a reliable navigator - you will have no problem.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM

nytraveler - the problem is the reliable navigator. I haven't met one yet.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The advantage to the train over the bus is that you can stay in Pompeii longer and/or have dinner in Naples. The last fast train from Naples to Rome departs at about 9:15 p.m.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
P.S. I wouldn't want to drive back into Rome in the dark.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:46 PM

We did the same day trip from Rome in June. Looked into drivers and shuttles and tours with Context Rome and Eternal City and found all of them prohibitively expensive for 4 people. We ended up doing the train from Rome to Naples, Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii Scavi. It is relatively easy with a few caveats:

1. Watch your valuables and be vigilant in the Naples train station and on the Circumvesuviana. It's a good day to use your money belt and not have a lot of bags on you. Obvious thief wanna bees were checking out people at the Naples train station.

2. Do validate your train ticket for the CV train on the way to and from Pompeii Scavi. We looked for a validation machine at the Pompeii Scavi station and couldn't find it (the station was crowded, so we probably missed it). When we got back to Naples, the CV ticket checker gave us a hard time but let us go without paying a fine or whatever on realizing we were American tourists.

3. Facilities at Pompeii excavations are very limited compared to those at historic sites in the US. One place to eat (with restrooms) and one set of restrooms at the entrance. Plan on lots of walking and not
much share; it was grueling in the summer time.

4. You might want to arrange for an on-site walking tour guide before your visit. They have to be licensed to sell you a tour inside, but that doesn't mean much. Ours had a spiel with a lot of vulgarities, raced us through the part of the ruins he covered (the tour ended in the middle of the huge site), and his English was fluent but heavily accented.

Having said that, Pompeii is unique and worth the long day trip from Rome. Ostia Antica is the easier, cheaper, closer alternative if you decide against Pompeii.

Good luck!

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for your valuable information. It has helped with our decision.