Getting to Pompeii

Old Jul 19th, 2003, 10:23 PM
Original Poster

Getting to Pompeii

I would appreciate any suggestions for the best way to see Pompeii on a day trip from Rome. It seems as if all the bus trips have side trips to Naples and Sorrento as well. I would prefer to spend a good deal of time at Pompeii. Is it better to do a tour group or take the train and hire a guide when you get there? Or see it on my own?
Grazie!
Jan
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 02:43 AM

IMO the best way is to go by train. Much cheaper than the tour buses from Rome.

There are audio guides for hire so you can tour on your own, - or you can join a guided tour at the gate.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 03:02 AM

TRAIN! I just returned and very much enjoyed my solo trip by train and I followed a tour guided group for a bit and then broke off on to my own. A sweet dog followed me the entire time...and he was not hungry cause I tried sharing my food.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 05:56 AM

I took a shuttle bus from Rome to Pompeii run by Enjoy Rome at www.enjoyrome.com. There are no side trips, just one rest stop on the way to Pompeii. No guided tour in Pompeii, just transportation. You have about two and a half hours at Pompeii, which I found to be just about right. We didn't get to see everything, but my feet were ready for the break.

The bus ride was quite comfortable and this was one of the most enjoyable days of my visit to Rome.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 10:58 AM

We took the train to Pompeii from Sorrento, but it looks easy from Rome as well. We transferred in Naples Centrale to the Circumvesuviano line. I think the main connection is always through Naples. Trip time from Rome is 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Here's a link to the website for the train.

http://www.trenitalia.com/home/en/index.htm

We saw Pompeii on our own and later regretted not hiring a guide when we got there. It's an overwhelming place, and I'm sure we would have enjoyed our visit much more with a guide.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 05:18 PM

I am one of those who doesn't want to spend six hours travel time for a day trip. I realize that when on a trip like this that you would like to see it all, however, Italy will be there for a while. There is alot tyo see much nearer to Rome. You can save Pompeii for a southern trip, on which you can enjoy Naples, Sorrento, Capri and the Amalfi coast. Only a suggestion.