Need car rental tips in Italy

Apr 13th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Need car rental tips in Italy

Hi, All. I want to pick up a car when we leave Venice and drop it off after some travel to CT and Tuscany when we get to Rome. When trying to rent the car on the rental website, there seems to be a lot of choices for pick up and drop off. Can anyone suggest the best location to pick up a car in Venice and easiest place to drop one off in Rome? We'll be staying near St. Peters Square once we drop off the car. Thanks!
Apr 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM

There is only one place to pick up a car in Venice - at the rental office =s at the Piazzele Roma - the end of the casueway into Venice. Otherwise you would have to trek to the airport or Mestre. Where you can drop off will be determined by who you rent from and where their offices are.

We typically rent on the way out of Rome - have only ever dropped a car there once. We drove to the hotel and dropped luggage, then asked a bellman for directions to the rental office - he hopped in and gave us directions - since he said it was in a tricky location.
Apr 14th, 2008, 06:25 AM

I always train (or fly) in and out of Venice...but the easiest would be (as said) Piazzale Roma since you wouldn't have to spend time going to the "mainland" in Mestre or Padova...they always seem to be really expensive though (which is why I never do it)

In Rome...I think the very easiest place to drop off is the airport...early/late hours and easy to get in and out of. I, personally, won't drive IN Rome, so prefer to drop there and take public transport.
Apr 14th, 2008, 06:34 AM

Piazzale Roma for Venice, as said.
For Rome, just find a place close to St Peter's Square. Both Avis and Hertz have between 5 to 10 drop-off places in town. Don't bother to go to the airport.
If you don't like the hassle in Rome to drop off the car, consider dropping the car in Florence or Orvieto and take the train to Rome...
Apr 14th, 2008, 07:05 AM

We picked up from Europecar at Piazzale Roma which was very easy and returned in Rome on Via Cipro in Vatican City (not so easy). If not for an angel of a man who led us there we might still be trying to find it.

Next time I will return to Orvieto or the airport.
Apr 14th, 2008, 07:09 AM
ira

Hi A,

>I want to pick up a car when we leave Venice and drop it off after some travel to CT and Tuscany when we get to Rome.

You do know that you can't drive on the CT.

Many folks prefer to drop the car at Orvieto (very nice town) or Chiusi and take the train into Rome.

Apr 14th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Mambo_

My tip: take the train!
>-

Apr 14th, 2008, 10:08 AM

save
Apr 25th, 2008, 10:17 AM

I wanted to take the train from Rome and rent a car in Chiusi to drive thru Tuscany, staying 2 nights outside of Siena, then driving to Pisa to drop off the car before taking the train to CT. I am not having much luck with getting a car in Chiusi. Also is it better to drop the car off at the Pisa airport or in town? We need to get to the train station from wherever we leave the car. Thanks.
Apr 25th, 2008, 10:51 AM

nwbniteowl,

Are you going through autoeurope.com for your car pick up in Chiusi? Is it a problem of when you plan to pick up the car (usually the problem)- on a Sunday or during the long lunch hour or before/after hours?

The airport in Pisa is so easy to get to and there are trains leaving from right outside the airport doors every 10 minutes taking you to the Pisa train station- a 5 minute ride. For those reasons, I would just drop the car at the airport.
Apr 26th, 2008, 02:52 PM

I tried autoeurope online. They just said "not available," but didn't give me a reason. I asked for Sat. 13:00 to Mon. 13:00. Maybe I should see if the time would make a change. Good to know about the Pisa airport. Do you know if the Campo dei Miracoli is near the train station? Ideally I'd like to drop off the car, take the train to see the sights, then hop back on the train to go to CT. Thanks.