Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to pick up and drop off rental car in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Italy next month and plan on picking up a rental car after visiting Venice and dropping the car off once we get to Rome (or somewhere just outside that will allow us to easily get into the city). Does anyone have suggestions of convenient locations for pick up and drop off that we can easily get to and will avoid having to drive in highly congested areas?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:18 AM

We did just the opposite a few years ago--picked up at Termini in Rome and dropped off at Piazzale Roma in Venice. You should have no problem picking up at Piazzale Roma. Rome traffic is pretty hectic, but we managed to get out of town from Termini. We got lost, but actually enjoyed driving through neighborhoods we never would have seen otherwise.

I suppose to avoid the most traffic you could drop the car at Fumicino Airport, and either take the train, shuttle or taxi into Rome, but I think it will cost you more than if you dropped off in town.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:53 AM
ira

Hi J,

Many folks drop the car in Orvieto and train to Rome after seeing the town.

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 10:08 AM

We also picked up at the Termini station in Rome, and found that to be pretty easy. It's easy access to a major road that leads to the Autostrade, so you are not dealing with the touristy areas.

That said, though, I've got to say that ira's suggestion is excellent! Orvieto is a great town to visit, the train station is easy to get to, and it's on your route. (Coming from Venice, the Rome airport is on the opposite side of town, so you're driving a greater distance and then backtracking to get to central Rome.)

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 10:34 AM

We did the Piazzale Roma in Venice pickup and the termini dropoff. I agree, Termini is easy access from the highway. Just avoid rush hour.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I will look into Orvieto and if not it sounds like we are ok to drop the car off at the Termini in Rome.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 01:13 PM

We dropped off at VCE - Venice Marco Polo airport and it was easy - I'm assuming pick up would be the same.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Pick up at Piazzale Roma in Venice and drop at either Orvieto or Chiusi depending on your itinerary. Both are easy train rides into Rome.