Need advice on finding hotels in Rome

Old May 28th, 2002, 11:54 AM
arpi

Need advice on finding hotels in Rome

Will be in Rome in August for 4 days. Could anyone please suggest hotels that are central for sightseeing???

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Rex

Del Senato or Albergo (Hotel) Cesari.<BR><BR>But make sure you go to www.venere.com - - quite possibly the only web site you will need, to window shop, check availability and rates, make inquiries, book reservations or do online cancellations - - all seem to work efficiently and flawlessly. Well, all execpt the inquiry function - - I have occasionally had a hotel fail to respond to an inquiry for information. But I have never gotten bad information on availability, nor had a reservation screwed up, nor a cancellation (this might be the more important test!)<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR><BR>

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Book Chick

Hi!<BR><BR>Casa Howard, the Hotel Parlamento or the Hotel San Gregoriana.<BR><BR>Of the 3, I like Casa Howard the best. Their e-mail address is [email protected].<BR><BR>Their ph# is 39.06.69.924555<BR><BR>Their fax# is 39.06.6794644<BR><BR>Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:44 PM
xxx

Avoid www.venere.com like the plague. They frequently charge significantly more than the rate available directly from the hotel. And if there is a problem, it's always easier to iron it out directly with the hotel than to have a third party who may or may not respond. They provide no real service.

Old May 28th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Kelsey

Bad experiences from www.venere.com - - what is this all about? and why post this anonymously? I have only used them once, and got a great deal, but seems like everyone on this board has lots good to say about them.<BR><BR>Is something up new?<BR>

Old May 28th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Myer

I notice that the same people are recommending the same hotels. At least all are consistent.<BR><BR>I used Venere.com<BR><BR>I don't know if I could have gotten a better rate by calling the hotel directly. But, I was able to check hotel pictures, get immediate availability and price.<BR><BR>I made 2 reservations. Both reservations worked fine. The fact that I didn't like one hotel (Accademia) was my lack of research. The fact that I liked one hotel very much (Santa Chiara) was due to the positive comments on this board.<BR><BR>I would definitely stay at Santa Chiara again. I might try to call a hotel directly next time (maybe) to try for a better rate.<BR>

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:40 PM
randy

Try http://www.freehotelguide.com<BR>We have great hotel rates for Rome.<BR><BR>Hope this helps, Randy<BR>http://www.freehotelguide.com/<BR><BR>

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:38 AM
ttt

topping<BR>

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:20 AM
cindy

We just stayed at the Hotel Isa on Via Cicerone, which is about 4 blocks from Vatican and 4 or 5 blocks from Piazza Navona in a relatively quiet area. Hotel is modern with large rooms and marble tiled bathrooms. Pleasant staff and includes a buffet breakfast. 3-star hotel. We paid 200 euros for a very room quad.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:48 AM
KC

We stayed at the Senato for a week during Easter of 2001. We had wanted the large suite, but it was booked. So, we got a triple. However, when we got there the suite was available and we took it; we negotiated a better price than what had been on their website. It was like being in an old Italian movie, the suite and VIEW was incredible...a great splurge. Plus, the triple rooms do not have any views or much sun. The bathrooms are huge. The service great. The public space is not large, but ample for a small hotel. Location is ideal.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Seamus

We liked Hotel Spring House close to the Vatican on a quiet side street. Modern, clean and friendly, nice breakfast. www.hotelspringhouse.com is the URL, I think

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:52 AM
xxx

we stayed at the Hotel Villa Borghese. A very charming and reasonable hotel. Nice to be across from the park and one of the most wonderful galleries/museums in Rome... but a bit of a walk from the Spanish Steps (and surrounds...)<BR>Ahhhhh Bella Roma!!!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:58 AM
great

Intercontinental hotels have a great deal this summer-50% off! We're booked at the De La Ville for 3 nights in Rome but the offer is for all their hotels.No-one has mentioned this anywhere so I don't know if this is the best kept secret or not but I'm sharing the news1 Enjoy.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:33 AM
ca

How much did you pay for Intercontinental? I just went to their site and it didn't seem like great deals? How do you get the 50% off???????

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:46 AM
great

Go to Intercontinental home page and click on offers and there it is!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:37 AM
me

There are many great hotels. Much depends on your pricerange. I think the base area is near the Pantheon/Piazza Navona/Campo De Fiori. I also liked Santa CHiara also. I prefer to book directly with the hotels, although you can use venere.com for reference. You can email them for all the information then phone or fax the credit card info. Do a text search here on Rome Hotels and you'll finds tons of info.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:38 AM
me

my previous post should read 'best' area, not 'base'.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 11:38 AM
willi

Hotel Rex on via Torino is quite nice. Good hotel, 4 star, great rooms, great breakfast service. Good location. They have web site if you search for them

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 12:11 PM
MCP

My husband and I honeymooned in Italy. We stayed at the Santa Chiara in Rome for 5 nights and LOVED it!! The rooms are smallish, but the bathrooms are redone in marble and clean and the price cannot be beat nor can the location-- literally right around the corner from the Pantheon and VERY centrally located. Try for one of the rooms on the top floor with a little balcony.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 12:14 PM
ledbetter

I just returned this week from Rome and I have an awesome hotel for you. <BR><BR>Hotel Paba (www.hotelpaba.com). It is only like a 2 star hotel but that is based on services instead of quality. <BR>It was awesome. We had a large room with 18 foot ceilings. The lady that runs the place speaks great English and was extremely helpful getting around Rome. She had a dozen guidebooks she offered to let us use. <BR><BR>the location is great because it is near the intersection of Via Cavour and Via Impiriali (spelling?). It is with two blocks of the Collosseum, the Forum, the Palatine, trajan's Markets, the Victor Emmanuelle Monument, Capitoline museum, St. Peter in Chains, and two Metro stops. <BR><BR>It was central, so that in 4 days you could use one day on the vatican, one day on the area around the hotel, one day on the northwest (pantheon and piazza navona) and one day on the northeast (spanish steps, piazza repubblica, santa maria maggiore, piazza barbarini).<BR><BR>please email me if you have any more questions.