Search

Need advice on beginning trip planning for Paris trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2011, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on beginning trip planning for Paris trip

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of surprising my wife with a trip to Paris for our 1 year anniversary. our special date is January 15th. My main questions are:

1) Is this a nice time to visit Paris?

2) What are some good places to start researching things to do?

3) How do I decide where we will stay, like, what area of the city?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 08:16 AM

1. Paris will be cold and damp and possibly rainy. But there is no predicting the weather and the temps could possibly be a mild.

2. Guide books are the best source for beginning research. Go to your local library and check out a few. Once you have some background information you can come back and post specific questions.

3. Most first time tourists stay in the inner arrondissements - 4, 5, 6, 7.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 08:24 AM

First of all, does she like surprises? (I hate them AND I love the planning part which makes the whole experience last much longer). If you are not absolutely committed to the suprise part, you could enjoy planning the trip together. Maybe 'surprise' her in advance with something Paris themed and tell her you want to plan the trip together. Maybe tell her at a French restaurant in the US with a little French gift (like French perfume - very romantic)?
Jan would not be my pick for my first time in Paris. Ihave gone in March, May and Oct. All have decent weather.
I would start with your interests and your wife's interests. Museums? Shopping? Foodies? Romantic sites? Do you want to wander the neighborhoods and get the flavor of Paris or do you want to see specific sights?
what kind of hotel do you like - American style large chain, small French charming but more old world? what is your hotel budget? French hotels are not terribly expensive if you go with the smaller properties. Best Western has individually owned hotels and I have had some good experiences (Best Western in the Bastille) was nice, affordable and near many bakeries and shops (even a Mc D's down the st for coffee if you buy a pastry at a nearby bakery). Enjoy
I have stayed in the Marais, near Bastille and near the Arc de Triomph. For a first trip I would stay in a central area - left bank, near the Louvre, Bastille, or on the Ile St Louis
Fodors has a Paris Best 25 small book that gives quite a nice overview of the highlights.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 08:47 AM

P.S. Fodor Help Line: You don't need to create another post. Just click on your name and your posts will come up.

Old Sep 1st, 2011, 09:04 AM

I agree with the above. It's January, it's winter, so it's about like you would expect in terms of being nice or not. Not sure where you are from, but assume you know what winter in a somewhat northern area is like -- it would be about like in Wash DC or NYC.

I think a good guidebook overview is the best for people who haven't been there before as you are going to want to see the main things most firsttimers do. I like both Fodors and Frommers as a good overall guidebook. They both probably even have free info online for Paris, in their destinations sections. Or try Timeout, they have lots of good info too and some is online.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 09:42 AM

I love Paris and think anytime is a good to be there, but yes it will likely be cold and rainy.

What are your interests? If you love museums...you will be in heaven...love churches....in luck there, too...shopping...perfect! AND they are all indoors! Plus, there's food, cheese, wine, pastries, macarons.

I do think a guidebook is a good idea, as well for an overview.

We love the sixth because the access to the Metro is good, close to the best sites, great cafes, wonderful boutiques and lots of small hotels to choose from

You can search for last T/R "Christmas in Paris was fantastic" to see the report and get links to the photos, to see the area.

Good luck and although I enjoy the planning, I would love a surprise trip to Paris!
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 01:22 PM

I agree with denisea on the surprise.

In fact, my husband is taking me on a surprise trip for my birthday next weekend. All I know is I'm to meet him at Dulles Airport next Thursday evening at 6:00pm. He did say he would help with a general idea of what I need to pack the night before. As much as I love planning, I find I am THE planner - not just for vacations, but for our regular social lives as well. It will be SO nice not to make any plans or decisions all weekend!

So to the OP, I love it. I've not been to Paris in January, but have been in other off-season months like February and November. Yes, it will be chilly, rainy, maybe snowy, but that wouldn't stop me from going. I love off-peak because there are fewer crowds (as others have said) and it's less expensive, of course. And there's so many cozy cafes and restaurants. You've already received great ideas on where to start. Let us know how the planning comes along, if you do decide to do it. I say yes!
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who posted on this thread for your ideas and help. I accidentally created two threads of the same name and am designating the other thread the main one if you would like to follow as I work through the planning process.