need advice on almafi coast

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advice on almafi coast

we will be spending 4 days on the almafi coast in may and need advice in which town to base. i have a back problem and therefore climbing flights of stairs to hotels etc is a problem. should we rent a car, take local sita bus or hire a driver for 1 day to show us around. we do plan to visit capri and sorrento
i have heard of a hotel in castellammare de stabia called the crowne plaza. has anyone stayed there
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:39 AM

Positano is ALL steps or greatly inclined winding streets; I would not base there with your back problems. "Downtown" Amalfi is relatively flat, and so is Ravello, if you're interesting in staying that far down the coast.
Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:58 AM

Sorrento is also fairly flat - and you can see the other towns from there - either by bus or by boat. It's also a good base for a tour of Pompeii.

Capri outside the town itself is very hilly - but if you'e going for the day the town may be enough. There is a funicular from the marina up to the town - but you do need to climb some steps either entering or exiting the funicular.

I would consider if you are able to comfortably do the Blue Grotto - since it involves transferring from a motor launch to a row boat - and back again - in the middle of the sea in order to enter the grotto. (The other choice - going from the island direct to the row boat - involves a huge # of steps. But perhaps it is possible to hire a row boat from the marina all the way around the island to the grotto - not sure - but that choice might work for you better. Just be aware that you need to lay down in the boat in order to get into the grotto - the ceiling is too low for you to enter sitting up.)
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 07:37 AM

You want Sorrento, Positano is all vertical. Forget Castellamare, not a pretty place. I would bus and train but hire a driver for one day to see Ravello etc.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 08:29 AM

I agree that Sorrento would be the best bet for you. It is relatively flat, and very walkable in most areas. If a driver is within your budget, that might be a more comfortable and easier choice with a bad back. I can highly recommend the driver we've used many times, who is based in Sorrento. He is: Giovanni Gargiulo, and can be reached at tourofitaly.com. If you check previous posts for drivers, you will come up with lots of other names, too. Good luck, and have fun!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Sorrento is in a good location to get to the Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and other sights, but it is not on the Amalfi Coast.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

thank you for your advice. my back is not good but i am not that incompasitated thank g-d. any hotel recommendations for sorrennto