Sorrento/Capri/Amalfi Coast

Old Sep 10th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Sorrento/Capri/Amalfi Coast

Hello!
I'll be arriving in Naples for 3 days in late Oct. Our only definite plans are to visit Pompeii and Capri. Of the 3 (Sorrento/Capri/Amalfi Coast), which would be the best to stay in as our base from which to day-trip out of? We'll be using public transportation, not renting a car, which probably factors into the equation. Also, any "must see" sights in the area would be appreciated too! Thanks! sky
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 06:37 PM

As a base and using public transportation, I don't think there is any question that Sorrento is the best for you. You can hop on a train in the center of Sorrento and get to Pompeii. You can hop on a boat or hydrofoil and get to Capri. And you can generally chose between a bus or a boat to get to Amalfi or Positano (not sure about the boats so late October).
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 06:40 PM

Positano and Ravello are very beautiful. Have lunch in Ravello, walk the gardens of Villa Cimbrone, and have dinner in Positano with a view of Positano. You could stay in Sorrento.

I would see Pompeii and the museum in Naples one day, then take a day trip to Capri from Sorrento, and if you can afford it, hire a driver to take you to Amalfi, Ravello, and Positano on the third day. You could also do it by SITA bus, but you might have to take a taxi back to Sorrento from Positano late in the evening. Have a great trip.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 06:50 AM

good morning, skymcc
Agree completely with Patrick that Sorrento is the best and take the day
trips to Pompeii, Capri and Amalfi from
there.see:
www.starnet.it/onda_verde/orari_traghetti.htm...
wwww.napoli.com....
www.uniplan,it/sita/orari.html....
touriticsite.syrene.it/
ww.sorrentoweb.com....
www.vesuvania.it/orario_oi/orari.asp...
www.atarnet.it/italy/amalficoast/....
www/capriweb.com...
www.marketplace.it/pompeionline/....
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice!
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 05:52 PM

We will be staying in Sorrento starting October 18 (it will be our 45th wedding anniversary!) for 3 nights (Il Nido Hotel - stayed there in 2000 and loved it). We took the SITA bus to Amalfi, which was o.k. This time we will be there with 2 other couples who haven't been there before. We would like to know if there is an inexpensive limo or some such to take us to Positiano, Ravello (haven't been to these towns) for the 6 of us. I did email one company and had an estimate of 300 euros. Is this competitive? We are all on a budget of sorts. Love this website, it has helped us plan our entire trip of 26 days in Italy! Sasi
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 06:05 PM

Sasi,

Maybe the problem is that you're asking for limo service? The four of us were in Sorrento this July, and were quoted, as I remember it, about $40 to go to Positano. This was our second trip to the coast, and once again, we hired Giovanni Gargiulo at tourofitaly.com. You might want to check with him and others for prices.

Good luck!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the reply, Weadles. The 300 euro quote was from Giavanni! Was the 40 euros to Positiano for just the trip there? And, how many of you were taking the trip. Their will be 6 of us. We certainly don't need a limo, but don't know if there are any drivers with vehicles that carry 6 passengers. Anymore help would be appreciated. I believe the 300 euros would be for the trip covering 7 hours. Who else should I check with? Thanks again. Sasi
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:31 AM

That's high for such a short trip.
Try these for quotes:

seesorrento.com (M. Maresca) ... [email protected]

sorrento.it (S. Astarita) ...
[email protected]

flaviogioia.com ...
[email protected]

positanocarservice ... [email protected]

starnet.it/car-paone ... [email protected]

Sergio Astarita quoted € 165 for a Positano/Amalfi/Ravello full day tour last year. I suspect he may be the cheapest.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

P.S. In October you'd have no trouble doing this by public transport for a few euros each.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:32 AM
ira

Hi Sasi,

You might want to try Cuomo Renato, www.cuomonet.it
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 01:09 PM

Hi Steve,

Thanks for all the websites and info. I have emailed a couple of people so far. What company is Sergio with? You said he would probably be the least expensive. I now have another quote of 240 euros from someone else. When we visited Sorrento in 2000, we found the SITA bus to be very crowded and it was somewhat difficult to catch the bus back from Amalfi...there were long lines and we waited quite a long time. Do you have any experience with taking the bus to Ravello? We would like to visit this town on this trip. Thanks again. Sasi
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 04:46 PM

Hi sky - I just returned from Italy and we used Gennaro Ruocco from www.sorrentolimo.com. He is the best and I would highly recommend him. I just posted a trip report - look for August in Italy trip report if you are interested in where he took us. It was nice having a driver when we went but that's when it was crowded and very hot. Public transportation might not be as bad when you are going. Have fun!
Joann
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:58 PM

Sasi,

I was shocked to hear about the high price quote with tourofitaly.com! I don't know if it's worth it to you, but you could see if he'll match the lower price. Giovanni's a wonderful driver and guide, and we've always found our time with him to be a highlight of any trip on the coast.

Anyway, good luck, and have a great time!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 11:20 PM

sasi -- You get the bus at sidewalk at the far end of the parking area. Try to sit on the right side going up. Great ride. Road is narrower than ss163 along the coast, and more breathtaking. Our driver only used one hand on wheel, while jesturing out side window to cars and scooters - BW was totally petrified.
Like most Italian buses, you can also enter at rear door, so be quick.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 02:20 AM

Hi Sasi

He is the limo driver for one of the travel agencies in the main street which advertise excursions and transfers. Not sure if he works for them or independantly. They have 4, 6 and 8 seater vehicles.

The agency website is
www.sorrento.it

I've never used him - I just noticed they seemed to have the best quotes last year.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

P.S. You wouldn't have any problem with buses in low season.
The service between Amalfi and Ravello is approx hourly. and takes 20-25 mins.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 10:38 AM

Hi Everyone on this thread! Still working on whether to take public transportation (SITA) down the Amalfi coast. As I mentioned before, in late October of 2000, the sita buses were very crowded and the ferry wasn't running from Amalfi back to Sorrento that late in the season. I have found a quote of 200 euros (wrote to our hotel and asked them if they had someone, gave us a good quote). My husband would like to make the drive but I am too squeamish. We would like to stop at Positiano on the way, then Amalfi, then up to Ravello for lunch. Any suggestions on any of this. Do the minivan drivers just wait for you at each place? And, can they drive down into Positiano? I have read that it's a mile walk down to the water. (We are in our late 60's and 70's but in good health) Thanks for all your help so far. As you can tell, I seem to be the "travel agent" for our trip! Sasi
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 11:59 AM

I am also going to Amalfi Coast/Sorrento and Capri in October.
I would like to know how much to tip the driver if he gives you a full day tour. Also, do the driver wait for you while you sight see? Do they eat lunch with you?

Sandy
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 12:15 PM

Sasi,

The minivan might be able to drive down in to Positano, but it will be problematic to stay there, since there's such limited parking. Most drivers do wait for you when you've hired them for a daytrip, since there's basically nowhere else for them to go.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 02:40 PM

Just got back from honeymoon along the Amalfi Coast. Here is my advice and a little info:

Stay in Sorrento...it was wonderful. Positano was great, but I think it's best as a day trip. Avoid the SITA bus if at all possible. Lines were horrible and people were so rude. We got pushed out of line twice. Take the ferry or fast boat...it's reliable and easy. Capri was also a nice experience, but also a day trip. Sorrento has a good night life and there is plenty to see. Lots of restaurants as well.

We used tourofitaly.com (Giovanni) for our transportation from Sorrento to the Naples airport. He is very reliable and nice, but started to talk politics with my wife and wouldn't quit. He was very annoying and went on and on about how he hates Bush and that he's the sole reason for Italy's travel slump right now. Not sure if I would recommend him. Maybe request his son.

That's it for now. Have fun and do everything possible to eat at Ristorante Zi 'Ntonio in Sorrento. Wonderful food. The Macaroni Sorrento style is to die for.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 07:47 PM

dear by350:
would you recommend driving to and around the Amalfi Coast? We are beginning in Naples.
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO