need advice on 1st trip to Itally

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be taking our first trip to Itally at the beginning of May. Time is limited due to work obligations. The only thing that is certain is we will be traveling by train from Strasbourg, France (hear the travel through the Alps is beautiful) to Venice. From there we have 8 days to see parts of Venice, Tuscany,Florence and Rome
Here are our thoughts.

Spend 2 nights in Venice. 1 day sightseeing.
Departing early the 3rd day and taking the train to Florence.
Pick up a car in Florence and drive to Tuscany. Use that as a base for several days. Day trip to Florence and day trips to countryside.
Either drive to Rome or drop car off and take the train to Rome.
Spend 2 or 3 days (depending on how many we spend in Tuscany).

Leave early on the 9th day.

I am not big into art. My spouse wants to see some churches and church history but does not have to see every church. I am more interested in countryside and the people. I also want to see the historical section of Rome.

What do you think of the itinerary? Should we spend 4 nights in Tuscany and 2 in Rome or 3 and 3? Could use any advice
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:34 AM
cmt

<<Pick up a car in Florence and drive to Tuscany>>

Florence is IN Tuscany.

What do you mean by "the historical section of Rome"?

This seems like too much to cover in eight days, even though you don't have a deep interest in anything in particular. If your interest is in "the people," this kind of trip will probably not be as satisfying as one in which you linger some place longer.

My impression is that you should probably think this through quite a bit more.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:39 AM

My opinion is that you're trying to do way too much. You say 2 days here or 3 days there - but in fact one of those days is a travel day - so it's really only 1 day here and 2 days there - hardly worth all the trouble.

Reduce your # of destinations to focus on what you really want to see. (You say your husband likes churches but doesn;t have to see every one - it would take a week to see even the major churches in Rome - never mind all the minor local ones.)

If I were you I would bag either Venice or Florence/Tuscany - and concentrate on one or the other plus Rome - to give yourselves a little breathing time. (A beginners basic Rome is 4 days - not including travel day.)

If you do a detailed itinerary for yourself - including train times, times for checking out of, locating and checking into new hotels and orienting yourself - as well as a rough guestimate of major sites you'll see what really makes sense. (The historical section of Rome in any depth is 2 days minimum - unless you're touring from 6am to midnight. Plus you really do need to allow yourself some time for just relaxing, cafe sitting and watching the world go by - otherwise you've missed the entire point of Italy.)
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:39 AM

I agree with CMT, it's a very ambitious schedule for 8 days. You will be moving quickly and not seeing any city in any kind of depth. I would consider eliminating 1 of the spots for this trip.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:08 AM
ira

Hi C,

Good advice above.

Have you checked the train schedules for Strasbourg to Venice?

See http://plannerint.b-rail.be/bin/quer...n?L=profi&

I suggest that you split your time in Italy as either:

4 days Venice and 4 days Rome

3 days Venice, 3 days drive through Tuscany, 2 days Rome

Have a nice visit.

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
With 8 days and beginning in Venice as a definite, I would do either Florence/Tuscany or Rome, not both.

Your sketch of an itinerary is not realistic, in my opinion and as others have mentioned, because 2 days is not really 2 days when you factor in the travel time moving place to place, check in and out of hotels, taxis to and from train station, train journey itself, meals, etc.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Hi ccc, in that you are going by train to Venice and flying home from Rome I would spend more time in Venice and than take the train to Rome and enjoy that vibrant and historical city. You could stop in Orvietto on the way if that appealed to you. It is best if you give yourself some time to just relax and enjoy Italy..think you will get so much more out of your visit. Best wishes.