Can't make up our minds on an Italy agenda

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for everyone on this website. It in indeed addictive....and extremely helpful.
We are going to Italy for our 1st time. We arrive in Rome and 9 days later fly out of Venice. Our original plan was to spend 2-3 days in Rome, get to Sienna or nearby and do day trips to Tuscany villages, then head to Venice for 2 days. After reading, research, etc. I have another plan but would like some feedback:

Arrive Rome - 2 days
Rent a car and drive to Montalcino - 4 days
Drive to Cinque Terre or near by - 2 days
Drive to Venice - 2 days

Comments?!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:11 PM
ira

Hi M,

>Arrive Rome - 2 days
Rent a car and drive to Montalcino - 4 days
Drive to Cinque Terre or near by - 2 days
Drive to Venice - 2 days<

Too little time in Rome and Venice.
Too much time on the CT
Too much driving.
It adds up to 10 days

With only 7 days to actually see Italy, I suggest that you

A. See Rome (5 days) and Venice (4 days)

B. Rent a villa in Tuscany and drive around.

C. Train directly to Florence (5 days with daytrips to Siena and Bologna or Orvieto, train to Venice (4 days)

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:24 PM

I agree with Ira, thats too many places in too little time. Including travel time, this is what your itinerray looks like:

.5 day - arrive in rome, check-in, etc
1.5 days - Rome
.5 day - drive to Montalcino
3 days - Tuscany
.5 day - drive to CinqueTerre
1 day - CinqueTerre
1 day - drive to Venice
.5 day - Venice
.5 day - departure

Pick any 2 of the 4 destinations you have planned. You could also do the classic 1st time Italy itinerary:
Rome: 4 nights
Florence/Tuscany: 3 nights
Venice: 3 nights

Read a guide book and decide what you want to see in the places you want to go to and then decide how much time you want at each of your stops. Also remeber to factor in travel, finding hotel, checking-in time.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not your typical traveller. I don't really like the touristy things and detest lines. That is why I am leaning towards more of Tuscany and the Cinque Terre region. However I am told that the history in Rome/Florence is of interest to everyone. I am usually the small town, where the true locals are type of traveller...I am probably making no sense. (?).
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:42 PM

For such a relatively short time frame, you look like you will be spending a lot of your vacation on the move from place to place. And, you won't see Rome really at all. Assuming you are traveling from the US, that first day will be lost to jet lag and settling in.

If it was my trip, I think I'd limit it to 2 areas, with some daytrips planned perhaps, if one of those areas is Tuscany.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks....I am actually coming from Canada. we will definetely rethink our agenda. Thank you again
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Hello Mishka, when you say you will arrive in Rome and fly out of Venice 9 days later I assume you will consequently have 8 nights in Italy, counting the night of the day you arrive.

If you like small towns and do not like lines of people please do not feel that you have to stay in Rome and/or Florence or even Venice for that matter.

You did not say when you are going to Italy, that can make a difference due to weather conditions (although weather conditions can vary so much in these past years in Italy).

If you do not like crowds you may not want to visit Cinque Terre as it does get very crowded during the vacation months.

I am just wondering if you wouldn't be happier after arriving in Rome to just rent a car and drive to Tuscany and stay there for several days in one spot and take day trips to various places. And then perhaps take the train to Venice for the last couple of days before you fly home.

Please do not feel that you "must" visit Rome, Florence etc., just because most people do. It is important that you prepare your trip to Italy for the way that will be the happiest for you. Best wishes.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:52 PM

Mishka,

My wife and I went to Italy last fall, with nine nights on the ground. We fought our normal urge to "keep moving" and decided to spend five nights in Rome and four in Venice. It turned out to be the BEST trip we have ever had. Five full days was just right for a first trip to Rome. The six hour train ride (Eurostar - nice train) to Venice gave us a day to "relax" and then we hit the bricks in Venice for four nights. Terrific trip. I suggest you do something similar!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:54 PM

I was in Rome for 5 days and I thought it was too short!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 01:00 PM

I agree with richardab. We've been to Rome twice for a total of 7 days and are planning on going back next year because we still have quite a list of things to see.

However, I also agree with LoveItaly. Although I think Rome is fantastic (I haven't yet been to Venice), if you don't like crowds and lines you shouldn't feel like you have to spend time in either Rome or Venice. You may want to consider renting a villa and spend your trip meandering through the hilltowns of Tuscany and Umbria. Right now your itinerary seems way too ambitious, and will leave you exhausted and annoyed because you didn't get to see as much. Picking two places and splitting the time between then (and adding some daytrips) would be a much better plan.

Good luck and best wishes!
Tracy
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Wow - thanks everyone. Great feedback....still confused. Obviously we need more time. If we were to go to Tuscany and get a home base, where would you recommend? Siena?
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Mishka, By now you know that 4 destinations is too many--something has to go. I suggest dropping Rome, which deserves 5 days at least. I would land at Rome and train that day to Florence---only 1:40 longer. Then:
Florence-2 nites
Tuscany[ with car]-3 nites
Venice[ drop car]-3 nites
That is a plate full. You will return.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Bob - thanks. Curious - why drop Rome and not Florence? Just wondering....
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 02:46 PM

Skip Rome in favor of keeping Florence? Excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor. Not me!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Because Rome demands more time--you can see Florence in 2 days. It was my 8th trip to Italy before I set foot in Rome---we spent a week then.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Not speaking for Bob, but I guessing he said that because Rome takes way more time than Florence. I'd rather save Rome for another visit than spend just 2 days there.
Seeing that you would like the country side experience more than the city experience, you'd be better off with the city that takes the least time. Also its nicer to train in to Florence first and then drive later after you've had time to recover from jet-lag and get more accustomed to Italy.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Hello Mishka, everyone has a different opinion as to what they like regarding a trip. Personally, and again this is just my thinking for me, I would stay in Rome and then train to Venice and spend some days there before flying home.

If I had more time I would then spend time in Tuscany.

But Bob obviously likes Florence better than Rome.

And Patrick just expressed his opinion (which as usual I agree with).

Mishka, you could get 200 people advising you as to what "they would do". You need to do some research and talk to whoever is travelling with you and decide what is best for you. That is the strongest suggestion I can make. Good wishes with your decision.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all....one decision has been made...we must return again next year and book at least 3 weeks!!!! Thanks -- we will continue researching and of course, check this site daily. What great help.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Hello Mishka, I just saw on another thread that you will be in Italy in November. I would consequently really suggest that you do not try to visit Cinque Terre this trip as November is cold and miserable usually. I had a family member that was in Montorossa for several months during the late autumn/winter months and he nearly froze to death.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 03:42 PM

The Cinque Terra is truly beautifuland spectacular a la Amalfi coast .A good choice. I stayed in Lerici with friends so can't recomend a hotel .There is a ferry which runs along the coast stopping at all the towns .From memory there was also a lovely hotel at Porto Venere on the water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -