Navigating CDG Terminal to Shuttle

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a very timid sister who has to fly to Paris on her own. She will be tired, alone, and this is a big step for her traveling so far by herself. She speaks no French.

I was wondering if there was some photo map of Terminal 2 that shows where she would pick up the shuttle into Paris. Unless Paris Shuttle has really gone down the tubes, I was thinking of making a reservation on that -- unless you folks have other ideas.

She would not be able to navigate the RER or take the bus. So I'm thinking the only other options are either a cab (which for one person is too expensive) or a shuttle -- either Paris Shuttle, Air France, or something else, if you have other suggestions.

The only other option would be for me to go from the 14th out to CDG and bring her back in, but this being on Bastille Day, I'd rather not have to make the trek out there.

I'm trying to make this initial "ordeal" as painless as possible. So I thought I'd give her photos of where to go once she collects her luggage, and kind of a cheat sheet if she needs to ask for information. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 26th, 2012, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Air France service is a bus and probably one of the most reliable services. But if she won't take a bus then this is not an option.

I would be wary of shuttle services since many will not honor the reservation if your plane is late and Paris Shuttle gets mixed reviews. I used them for a return to the airport but others have reported poor service. She also has to call the shuttle upon arrival to let them know that she is ready to be picked up.

The best thing for your sister to do is to take a taxi, even though it will be expensive since it will be the easiest thing for her to do. All she has to do is follow the taxi signs and get in line. Warn her not to get into a taxi if someone comes up to her inside the airport.

I googled CDG airport map and came up with this:

http://parisbytrain.com/files/2008/09/cdg_map.pdf
http://parisbytrain.com/category/maps/

It doesn't show shuttles but that info should be available from the shuttle web site.
Old May 26th, 2012, 05:55 PM

If she can follow the signs to the taxis, she can follow the signs to the RER and speaking French is not at all required to get from CDG to the 14th on the RER. She can use a debit card to get a ticket, and the people in uniform standing around will see her and be of any assistance necessary. Really, if I can do it, she can do it.
Old May 26th, 2012, 06:57 PM

Ask someone at a tourist information kiosk for directions or better yet just simply take a cab. The peace of mind is worth the $ and you can save on something else..The first time I went to Paris I had a shuttle company and it took them 1 and 1/2 hours to get me, then picked up some others..The second time I took a cab and was so relieved to be looked after that although it was dear it was just the thing I needed after a long flight. Write out the address that she is to meet you at and you both will be much happier, especially for a first timer.
Old May 26th, 2012, 08:56 PM

I always take the RER - and wouldn't wish that on your sister given the circumstances!

My recommendation would be to have her take the Air France bus to Montparnasse (called <i>Les Cars Air France</i> in French). The bus is, as adrienne says, one of the most reliable modes to transfer from the airport. They are clearly marked and she can ask for assistance; the staff should speak at least some English. As with any coach bus, her luggage is stored below; no jostling on the RER or rushing to get it out in time. And the bus makes only two stops with Montparnasse being the last, so it's very clear for her. You can meet her at the bus stop at Montparnasse. (At the risk of stating what you already know, Montparnasse is on the northeastern corner of the 14th arr.)

This page is rather dense to try and read, but it will give you a sense of the routes and schedule (and a google search will of course bring up more info):
http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/air-f...le-service.htm
Old May 27th, 2012, 04:46 AM

Taking Air France bus #4 to Gare Montparnasse sounds like a good idea to me. I found this list of stops on their website:

Terminal 2A-2C: Get off at bus stop serving Terminals B and D
Terminal 2D-2B: Entrance B1
Terminal 2E-2F: Gallery level, Entrance 3

If you think that would be too much for her to handle, then a taxi would be best. Have her write down the name and address of her hotel, including the arrondissement, to give to the driver.
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

OK, the Air France bus #4 sounds like the right way to go. I checked the stop, and it's a couple blocks from our hotel on the other side of the cemetery.

I'll check out the times, because it seems cheap enough that I could even go down to the Montparnasse drop off, and get on the bus, taking it to the airport, and wait for her and go with her back on it. I assume they do pick ups as well as drop offs.

Your advice has been most helpful -- thanks!
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:42 AM

Glad to help. That's great that the stop is so close to where you'll be staying!

Yes the bus takes passengers in both directions; I'm sure they'll take you (and your money) even without luggage.
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:14 PM

My recommendation would be to just have your sister follow the signs LES CARS AIR FRANCE and take the bus to Montparnasse. She can pay on board (with a credit card if she wishes). An attendant will stow her bag(s). Then, you can just meet her at the stop at Gare Montparnasse.
Old May 27th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Yep, I think that's exactly how we're going to deal with the sister situation!

Thanks!