CDG to 5th arron.--transport options

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am debating the following options for getting from CDG to the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles in the 5th.

The last time we stayed in that neighborhood, we took the RER to Saint Michel then transferred to the metro. But that was for a long weekend--we'll have much more luggage this time.

Then again, we'll be arriving at 7:40 a.m., just in time for rush hour on the periphique. So the train does have some advantage/appeal.

I'm not thrilled by the idea of a taxi all the way from CDG--too expensive to me. But I was considering taking the Air France bus to Gare de Lyon and then taking a cab from there.

Another option would be a shuttle service. I believe I've used one called Golden in the past. No problems, pretty straightforward, but I can't find their card or a number for them. I was considering Paris Shuttle, but after doing a search here, I found a lot of negative remarks (and didn't dig down to get to the roots of the comments, so I don't know how well founded they are).

So the options again are:

RER-Metro (cheap, no traffic, grande schlep des valises)
Taxi (not cheap, traffic)
Shuttle (don't know the cost, traffic, concerns about service)
Air France Bus-Taxi from GDL (mid-price, traffic, pas de schlepping)

I'm leaning towards the last option--anybody have other insight?

Thanks.
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 6th, 2003, 04:11 AM
ira

Hi Elle,

Try http://www.epinions.com/content_3100352644
for info.

Loved "grande schlep des valises".
Old May 6th, 2003, 04:52 AM

This is the 'good' shuttle service, run by Mark Harris:
http://www.parishuttle.com/us/index.html
He left the other shuttle company and started his own.
All your questions will be answered on the website, believe it said the cost for 2 was 17E/pp.

We took a taxi from 5th to CDG last fall, and the cost was about 50-55E, before a tip. The meter already had about 7E on it (due to fact the meter starts when the taxi departs to pick you up).

Air France rates 11.5E/pp 40-55 mins(probably to Montparnasse)
http://www.taize.fr/en/index.htm?pag...d/airports.htm

It seems to me the shuttle would be the best option:
1. door-to-door service
2. more cost-effective than taxi or bus/taxi
3. probably doesn't take any more time than catching the bus,
then getting a cab.
4. taxi, shuttle, AF bus - they all have same traffic to get thru

There you go, my 2 cents.
Old May 6th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Bootman4U

The last time we arrived at CDG we had arranged for a shuttle to pick us up...I wish i could remember the name..but the point is when we arrived we simply dialed their local number to tell them we had arrived and they picked us up at a designated door very close to where we had emerged from the Customs/Immigration number.
It was very convenient, was hassle-free, went directly to our hotel, no haggling about prices/meters/where to put the luggage and transferring once we arrived in the city (e.g., the AirFrance bus service)AND I didn't have to spend any time at all worrying about it beforehand, posting messages, obsessing on the flight over.
I am very much a railroad user but in this case I would do the shuttle again in a heartbeat..it is worth every penny in my opinion.

Old May 6th, 2003, 05:35 AM
PLJ

Elle, I like your Air France Bus-Taxi from GDL suggestion. My husband and I have stayed at L'Hotel des Grandes Ecoles on two occasions, most recently Sept/Oct02. Both times we traveled via RER from CDG to HDGE (and back). For us, the RER definitely involved the schlepping of heavy luggage - but, we were willing to accept this inconvenience in exchange for the benefits of money saved, traffic avoided, etc. It wasn't a bad experience, but, in future I think that I'd consider your suggestion. The idea of paying a little more money for a little less schlepping sounds like a good one to me!
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:22 AM

Just a small point: on that epinions site ira pointed you to, the writer says taxis charge a flat fee of 36 euros. In my pretty considerable experience, there is no such thing as a taxi charging a flat fee from CDG into the city. There's a meter that determines how much you'll be charged, and the range can be considerable depending on time of day, time of day, and traffic conditions.
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:56 AM

I agree with St Cirq, I don't think that guy has correct information on a couple points, although the bus and RER fares sound about right. I wish taxis charged a flat fare of 36 euro to anywhere in central Paris. I also don't think limos always charge a flat fare of 100 euro, but that's another issue. I have info from the official Paris taxi commission and all the rules and rates, and there is nothing like that. I think 36 euro is possible, but wouldn't count on it. He doesn't even mention shuttles.

There are several shuttle services, that does sounds best for you. The AF bus to Gare de Lyon and then taxi won't likely be cheaper than a shuttle and it possibly could be more if traffic were really bad. I think it would be okay though. I have done that kind of thing several times, usually take a cab, and I don't have any problems that others reference above in this regard as I don't haggle or complain about prices or where they put the luggage, and have never had a problem.

So many posts on this subject and they have URLs for the 3 main services, Parishuttle, Airport Shuttle and Blue Van or something like that. I've never heard of one named Golden.