Search

Naples to Sorrento: Alternatives to Circumvesuviana Train

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 02:54 PM
GAC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples to Sorrento: Alternatives to Circumvesuviana Train

Some travellers have expressed an interest in getting between Sorrento and Naples by some method of public transportation OTHER THAN the often crowded Circumvesuviana train.

Here are the alternatives:

1. Hydrofoil: 7 crossings daily on Alilauro. Fare: 9 Euros one way.

2. Bus: 2 daily morning SITA buses (EXCEPT on Sundays) from Naples to Sorrento; only 1 afternoon bus on the return (EXCEPT Sundays).
Note that the SITA bus stops at the Naples Port and behind the Naples Centrale train station (very grimy, noisy street, hard to find). Fare: 3.20 Euros one way. Purchase the "Unicocampania Fascia 5" bus ticket for 3.20 Euros (valid 180 minutes). Stamp it once on the bus.

3. Circumvesuviana trains depart every 30 minutes throughout the day. Fare: 3.20 Euros one way. Unicocampania Fascia 5 ticket is ALSO valid on the train to Sorrento. Stamp it before boarding the train. The Circumvesuviana Station is underground from Naples Centrale.

www.alilauro.it
www.sita-on-line.it
www.vesuviana.it
www.unicocampania.it
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 03:08 PM

Thank you for the information. Hydofoil website in English? I could not find the English version.
How long does the Hydofoil take? Is baggage ok?
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:24 PM

Thanks GAC. I also was looking for an alternative to Circumvesuviana train and have been looking at the hydrofoil alternative but I assume the hydrofoils run weather permitting. We will be leaving Sorrento on April 2nd so I am hoping for a calm day. Also, I believe there are other companies that do the Sorrento Naples run. One drawback is needing a taxi from the port in Naples to the train station. However, the Circumvesuviana train does not sound to appealing.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 05:00 PM

Just want to point out that from the pictures I'm seeing, that is not a hydrofoil. It's a high-speed catamaran. They are go on pretty rough seas.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 09:06 AM

I was there in April. The hydrofoils were a pretty smooth ride (and my wife usually gets sick on boat rides). We took teh circumvesuviana train to Pompeii. the ride out was fine because we were the first on in Naples but a few stops later it was squeezing room only. the ride back was a nightmare. Trains were late and were so full we caught the third one and stood most of the way. they are incredibly slow, as one would imagine with so many people getting on and off. I woudl definitely recomend the boat. the Naples train station is fine. You might not eat off the floor, but it's not a bad place. We were scared off of walking around but quite frankly, the area around the train station is not that bad. It's desolate at night but during the day it;s quite okay. It's a bit of a hike down to the docks though but certainly walkable. We took a cab at first. Cabs are expensive in Naples. I even watched the meter and verified we weren;t being ripped off. this should change next year as a metro line that will take you from the station to the docks is being built. Also, don't believe the bad hype about Naples. Do stop and have a pizza is you do nothing else. Our hotel on Capri openly advised us to have a pizza in Naples...we returned for two more.