Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naples to Positano question - please help

Dec 31st, 2007, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

What's the smartest way to get to the dock (hydrofoil to Positano) from the train station? (we're coming from Rome)

I'm thinking a private transfer to Positano is too expensive (150e), and the trains/busses might be a big hassle by late June.

Thanks!
dina
Dec 31st, 2007, 10:38 AM

I do this a couple of times a year, but it's the aliscafo to Ischia.... both are from Molo Beverello. I take a taxi. It's about 10 Euro.

Make sure there is an aliscafo (jet boat) to Positano at the time of year you're going.
Dec 31st, 2007, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ann.

Jan 2nd, 2008, 08:35 AM

Hi Dina - A private transfer costs approx &euro: 100.

As Ann says, check hydrofoil timetables. There are usually only one or two DIRECT services (- 1hr).
Others are indirect and therefore slower ...

If you wish to arrive by sea, another pleasant option is ferry (70 mins) from Salerno.

Alternatively, the cheapest option is the direct Rome-Positano bus service - see below.

Steve

ROME-POSITANO - by bus:

A relatively hassle-free budget alternative is the Rome-Positano bus service
(- operator: Marozzi).

Dep. 07.00 Roma Tiburtina
Arr.. 11.30 Positano (- Chiesa Nouva)

Fare:
€20.00 one way
€34.50 return

For details see:
www.marozzivt.it

[Roma Tiburtina can be reached by Metro (- Line B, direction Rebibbia), bus or taxi].
Jan 2nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Steve. You are always so helpful on this forum, and I'm sure many appreciate it as I do.

My hotel quoted 150euro for the private transfer, and it sounds like I might get it cheaper than that if I do it on my own.

Regarding the bus, I am worried that in late June the estimated 4.5 hours might be a lot longer due to the infamous traffic? What do you think?

If we went to Salerno, would we change trains in Naples?

Thanks again,
Dina

Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:01 AM

Dina - The Marozzi bus usually keeps pretty much to schedule in June, I think.

If you prefer a limo transfer from Naples, these companies get good reviews:

www.positanocarservice.com
www.flaviogioia.com
www.benvenutolimos.com
www.limocarservice.net

If you prefer the ferry option from Salerno, there are DIRECT trains from Rome to Salerno (- e.g 07.45, 09.45).

The 07.45 train might allow you to catch the 10.40 (- if you hurry!) or otherwise the 11.40 ferry.

Ferry journey time: 70 mins. Fare: € 8.00

There are normally ferry departures from Salerno (- Piazza della Concordia jetty) in June at:
08.40 - 09:40 - 10.40 - 11.40 - 14.10 - 15.30 - 17:15*

http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr.../costiera2.asp

[The dock at Salerno (- Piazza della Concordia jetty) is about 3 blocks/ 5 mins walk from the railway station ...]

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Steve,
Thank you again!

Taking a direct train from Rome to Salerno and walking 3 blocks to the ferry sounds a lot easier than dealing with Naples and a cab.

Am I right?

I assume the views from boat ride will be just as beautiful than if we were taking it from Naples.
This is our first time in the area and our first time on Italian trains! (We have rented cars on our last two trips.)

I figure this entire journey will cost our family of four 135 euro (with the Salerno ferry and Eurostar 2nd class Amica tickets).

Do you know how far in advance I can or should book the train?

Thanks again!
dina

Jan 4th, 2008, 02:46 AM

Dina - The boat option is scenic - a lovely way to arrive in Positano.

If you are travelling light, it's fine.
If you have a lot of luggage you may need to use a porter service from the dock in Positano - as most hotels are uphill from there

The car transfer option from Naples is quicker - if you're in a hurry.

Your choice ...

Hope this helps .

Steve

P.S. If you are in Rome you can book your train tickets there. A day or two in advance is sufficient.

Jan 5th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Steve.

We will be taking the train from Rome the day after we arrive in Italy, so i'm thinking i'll try to book online before we leave.

If you don't mind, I have one more question.
Maybe I'm getting too ambitious, but...

How can I figure out if the Rome to Salerno direct train makes a stop at Pompeii Scavi?

And if it does, can we get off, check our luggage at Pompeii, spend a few hours, and get back on the train?

Would we need to book two sets of tickets to this?

Just a thought, since it's on the way...

Thanks!!
dina

Jan 5th, 2008, 03:27 PM

All trains from Rome to Sorrento go via Naples. Some are direct Rome-Sorrento while others require a change in Naples.

Most of the regional trains between Naples and Salerno stop in Pompei. There is frequent service between Pompei and Salerno. Your ticket on a regional train from Naples to Salerno allows you to get off in Pompei, pay a visit, and get on any later train that day.

You can see all this by going to www.bahn.de. After you get summary timetables, click on "Details for all" to see the connecting points. Then click on "Show intermediate stops" for each route given.
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:17 PM

Mu brain is fried! In the first paragraph I meant to type Salerno, but instead I typed Sorrento. My references to Salerno in the rest of the post are correct (if my brain has cooled down, that is).
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tim. I will check out that site tonight!
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:35 AM

TimS, I think you are thinking about the Circumvesuvia train that leaves Naples and goes to Sorrento. Most of those stop in Pompeii. That's a local train. You need to change in Naples and go downstairs to that train.
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:52 AM

great info, bookmarking, tks
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:48 PM

Ann1,

It is a logical assumption to think I was speaking of the Circumvesuviana train, but I wasn't. Trenitalia operates regional trains that run between Napoli and Sorrento. Some of them stop in Pompei. Taking the Circumvesuviana from Napoli to Pompei and a Trenitalia train from Pompei to Sorrento would certainly work well, but you would have to buy separate tickets to do that.
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:52 PM

I did it again! I typed Sorrento when I meant to type Salerno. However, the information I gave is correct so long as you substitute Salerno for Sorrento.