taxi from Salerno to Positano?

Feb 13th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

taxi from Salerno to Positano?

Our hotel in Positano recommends a taxi from Naples to the hotel as the best way to get there. Wouldn't it be cheaper and closer to train from FCO to Salerno and THEN take that taxi? Thanks
Feb 13th, 2005, 07:03 AM

While Salerno/Positano is ten miles shorter than Naples/Positano, they both take about an hour to drive, according to Mapquest. The Naples/Positano route is mostly autostrada, then a short drive on the Amalfi coast. The Salerno/Positano route is all Amalfi Drive, which can be slow going, with many twists and turns. Nice views, but you run the risk of car sickness and getting stuck in traffic, especially going through all the small towns. We drove that route a couple of years ago and it took about an hour and 40 minutes to reach Positano once we got on the Amalfi Drive.
Feb 13th, 2005, 07:25 AM

Here is a recent reply from GAC, THE expert on transportation in Italy, on the best way to get from Naples airport to Positano:

From Naples Airport to Positano, I would take the Curreri airporter bus direct to Sorrento in one hour (6 Euros, 6 buses daily), connecting to the hourly SITA bus to Positano (45 mins., 1.30 Euros).

Total travel time is approx. 1 hr. 45 mins., not much more than going by taxi or limosine. You also avoid going into central Naples to catch the hydrofoil or the Circumvesuviana train.

14.60 Euros for two travellers is better than 100 Euros!

www.curreriviaggi.it
www.sita-on-line.it

---

Don't try to search for the message; the Fodors editors are too busy playing around with colours to make the search function functional. (I think I found it as message 300something...)
Feb 13th, 2005, 08:22 AM

The Curreri bus is only from Naples airport not Naples train station and it appears you are flying into Rome not Naples. If you train to Salerno and don't want to take the Sita bus the rest of the way you could then take a ferry from Salerno to Positano.

Keep in mind that your hotel is telling you the best/easiest way not the cheapest. The cheapest is train + bus for under 40E a person total. Train +ferry won't cost much more - maybe 5-10E.
Feb 13th, 2005, 08:33 AM
ira

KY has it right.

We liked the ferry ride.

You can also ferry to Amalfi and bus to Positano along the coast road.

You can also get a driver from Naples train station to Positano for about the same price as a taxi from Salerno, and less than a taxi from Naples.

Feb 13th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Ok, there will be 4 of us and one who has problems with here wrists and can't carry her own luggage. Soooo, the plane, train, bus, ferry, etc, etc. sounds like a lot of schlepping. That said, we don't want to break the bank, either. There is also a concern about getting seasick on the ferry from Salerno. Soo..isn't it just a bit more to get a driver from Naples train station to Positano than the more complicated process??
Feb 13th, 2005, 04:13 PM
ira

Hi rbn,

A driver from Naples to Positano will be about 90E.
Feb 14th, 2005, 04:37 AM

I hope you will have luggage on wheels and then it won't bother your wrists. If not then I would suggest buying some.

This will not be the cheapest but I suggest you take a limo/shuttle service from FCO to the main train station Termini in Rome. I have used www.limoservicerome.com (55E) for 4 people but there are other limo/shuttle services that are a bit cheaper. Another easy option that is a bit cheaper (9E per person) but takes a little longer is the Terravision bus. www.terravision.it

From Termini take the 2nd class ES train to Naples (22.21E each). Then limo to Positano (90E?). Final total is around 60E per person.

You will still have to schlepp luggage. Termini is a large station and you will have a lengthy walk to the trains as well as having to get your luggage up the steps to the train. You might have to schlepp your luggage in Positano also depending on where you are staying and whether or not your driver can pull up to your hotel.
Feb 14th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like a great plan. Thanks!